PDA

View Full Version : Can you update a drive over the network?

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Hello

I have clones of every drive i use, and i was wondering if could update them over the network via ethernet while houses inside a old PPC G4 mac.

Is this possible?

dnanian
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
You can update an image over the network, but not directly to a drive.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I am confused here now., excuse me, are you saying that i can not update a drive directly?

In my last post i was speaking of my iMac connected to 2 USB devices and smart update (resuming) a drive that crashed, this i assume is directly.

Am i confusing 2 different processes here?

After i cloned the drives (USB or FW) i plan to house them in a PPC mac which can hold over 8 drives on a ATTO PCI card, then fire the CPU up when i need to update over the Ethernet network or wireless.

Thought i mention details since it matter i guess., Do let me know if i missed something here :) (sounds like it)

Cheers
Mike

dnanian
05-14-2007, 06:26 PM
You cannot update the drive directly over a network, correct.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I am still confused.

it is exatly what i planned to do, continue updating over the network.

are you saying i have to clone all over again?

dnanian
05-14-2007, 06:34 PM
If you didn't write to an image, yes; writing directly to the drive can't be updated. See the "Airport Disks" post at the Shirt Pocket Watch blog (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog)...

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
If you didn't write to an image, yes; writing directly to the drive can't be updated. See the "Airport Disks" post at the Shirt Pocket Watch blog (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog)...

i think i cuaght my confusement here

I am cloning directly to drives, i was assuming images is what they are referred to (excuse me for been ignorant about names), ut seems now that when someone here mentioned images that they are actual boo-table images packed to be mounted later from a drive and not a drive image (clone) is this correct?

dnanian
05-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Images are virtual disks stored in a file.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok so the way i should go about this is to create images over the ethernet network onto the drives, then smart update back and forth? is this how SuperDuper should work?

dnanian
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
See the post on the blog: it gives some "best practices" for this.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-17-2007, 02:42 AM
See the post on the blog: it gives some "best practices" for this.

Thanks for the help

However, on trying to back up via network i can not see the drives via ethernet.

From what i understand, i have to same a image of the drive to a network drive, not clone it directly, and when i do i can not see any of the network drives.

Any ideas?

dnanian
05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't understand what you mean; you'd choose "Disk Image..." in the destination pop-up, and then save the image on the (already mounted) Airport Disk...

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't understand what you mean; you'd choose "Disk Image..." in the destination pop-up, and then save the image on the (already mounted) Airport Disk...

I am not using airport, i am using ethernet, does this not work with ethernet?

dnanian
05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
It's the same with Ethernet.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-17-2007, 08:19 AM
It's the same with Ethernet.

I mounted the (the drive on the ethernet) on my desktop, but when i try to copy or make a sandbox image to it i cannot cause it (the drive on the ethernet) simply does not appear in the right side pop up menu

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Wait, i think i know whats going on

1-I select the drive i will copy from.
2-On the right i select a image (not drive) and now it asks me where to save it, and the drive i mounted over the network does show up.

I think i missunderstood :)

Cheers

dnanian
05-17-2007, 08:29 AM
That's right: you have to use a Disk Image. It won't appear in the pop-up.

iLLuMiNaTiCa
05-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Wow this program is excellent, i can update it later over the network., sorry for the misunderstanding, i guess i over looked the manual impatiently.

Thank you so much!