Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Lion recovery partition

When will SuperDuper acknowledge the existence of the Lion recovery partition and deal with it during backups? I recently installed a new SSD in a Macbook Air and had to use CCC to deal with the recovery partition.

Mark
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Actually, you can easily recreate the recover partition by simply reinstalling Lion from the App Store. (This has the additional benefit of updating the recover partition with the most recent data, too.)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Actually, you can easily recreate the recover partition by simply reinstalling Lion from the App Store. (This has the additional benefit of updating the recover partition with the most recent data, too.)
Only if you have access to a network at the time. I didn't.

Mark
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Ah - that's certainly not a case Apple has considered, unfortunately. Thanks for the additional information.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Ah - that's certainly not a case Apple has considered, unfortunately. Thanks for the additional information.
Exactly. I'd like the ability to backup my recovery partition along with the main partition without having to go through any extra steps. CCC doesn't do that yet, and I'd like the backup to happen unattended like it does now. Perhaps a check box to include the recovery partition?

Mark
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I'm not a fan of this approach, no. For one thing, it's a case where copying one volume would somehow copy another, which is a bad idea.

For another, Apple hasn't yet provided guidance for a supported method of copying the recovery partition. While I do know "how" to do it, the method I'd use is not explicitly endorsed, and as such I don't think it necessarily wise.

Reinstalling Lion (you can create a recovery disk thumbdrive) is the one way that Apple seems to support which is why, right now, that's the way we're doing it. It also ensures that the 'new' recovery partition has the most recent data on it.

This is a frustrating issue. I recognize that it's inconvenient in some situations, but we stil don't have a "good" (eg "supported") way of accomplishing the task. And I don't want to put in something that might cause trouble with an OS update, minor or major, or unexpected behavior due to going "around" the existing method.

Now, the 'unsupported' method is only unsupported in the sense that the copy is done at a low level, the partition maps have to be adjusted, partitions created, hidden, named, etc. But while I know how, of course, building that kind of thing in makes me nervous for the reasons mentioned above.

Anyway, still thinking about it...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of this approach, no. For one thing, it's a case where copying one volume would somehow copy another, which is a bad idea.

For another, Apple hasn't yet provided guidance for a supported method of copying the recovery partition. While I do know "how" to do it, the method I'd use is not explicitly endorsed, and as such I don't think it necessarily wise.

Reinstalling Lion (you can create a recovery disk thumbdrive) is the one way that Apple seems to support which is why, right now, that's the way we're doing it. It also ensures that the 'new' recovery partition has the most recent data on it.

This is a frustrating issue. I recognize that it's inconvenient in some situations, but we stil don't have a "good" (eg "supported") way of accomplishing the task. And I don't want to put in something that might cause trouble with an OS update, minor or major, or unexpected behavior due to going "around" the existing method.

Now, the 'unsupported' method is only unsupported in the sense that the copy is done at a low level, the partition maps have to be adjusted, partitions created, hidden, named, etc. But while I know how, of course, building that kind of thing in makes me nervous for the reasons mentioned above.

Anyway, still thinking about it...
How 'bout if the recovery partition already existed? Would that make any difference? If the contents aren't changed, which would be most of the time, nothing would be changed.

Mark (I gotta get a life)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I don't see why, if you already had the volume, you'd want to copy it again like that...
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I don't see why, if you already had the volume, you'd want to copy it again like that...
I'd love to be able to do that. Unfortunately SD doesn't see invisible partitions.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Mark - why would you want to do that, if you already had a recovery partition? What benefit would there possibly be?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Mark - why would you want to do that, if you already had a recovery partition? What benefit would there possibly be?
Just in case a system update modified the original. As it stands, I have no way of knowing if the recovery partition is modified or not. If SD backed it up along with the main partition I wouldn't have to worry about it being different.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt about this, I'm just not used to being unsure if my backup drive is the same as my internal drive.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Does Time Machine - Apple's own solution for doing backups - copy the recovery partition, Mark?

If a "different" or "changed" recovery partition worried Apple, they would be copying it. But they don't. They recreate it during restore.

Similarly, I'm not trying to be a "pain in the butt". I'm trying to do the right thing. Yes, I know "how" to copy the recovery partition. But the question is: is copying it the right thing to do?

All the "external" signs from Apple basically point to "don't copy or access the recovery partition", as far as I can tell...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
This thread has left me confused. Like the original poster, I have a new SSD that I would like to install in a MacBook Pro, which came with Lion installed and now contains all my User data. I have made clones of the hard drive on external drives using SuperDuper in the normal manner. (I haven't checked to see if the clones contain the recovery partition; is there a way to do that?)

I had thought that I would install the empty SSD in the MBP, boot from one of the clones and clone that to the SSD. From what I gather, though, if I use this method, the SSD will not have the recovery partition on it?

In any event, what is the best way to proceed?

Thank you,

David
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Yes, you would make the copy, then reinstall Lion to recreate the recovery partition (which will refresh the OS and maintain your existing applications and data). I'm not sure where you're confused.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, you would make the copy, then reinstall Lion to recreate the recovery partition (which will refresh the OS and maintain your existing applications and data). I'm not sure where you're confused.
I was confused because I didn't realize that making a normal clone would not include the recovery partition. Or do I have that wrong?

Also, sorry for the basic questions, but when you say to reinstall Lion, do you then use Migration Assistant for your data?

David

Last edited by DavidCB; 07-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.