Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
My backup just failed due to low space on the destination drive.

PRE-COPY DELETION IS AN ESSENTIAL FUNCTION!
I was unaware SD wasn't erasing first.

SD is a veteran app, so it's been around plenty long enough for the dev's to have gotten off their butts and fixed this glaring omission.

Since the destination is the same size as the source, there's no reason it shouldn't have enough space - everything on the source must always fit on the destination.
Now that I've wasted a half hour posting this, I must waste more of my time doing SD's job and manually deleting files. If I have to do SD's job, I should get a discount.

And don't give me the lame excuse you posted SIX MONTHS AGO, because CCC has been doing this for years!

Are the developer's really that incompetent? If so, S-P better hire some new ones!
There are pros and cons to everything. The downside to deleting files first on the destination before the copy is that for a short time (minutes to hours) this leaves you with no viable clone of those files, and if something happens to the original before the new clone completes, conceivably one could be left without any copy of them at all. [Having multiple backups helps alleviate this ...] While I'm sure the expert who posted in bold, red, underline font would no doubt never allow this to happen, I can see the numerous new posts from others saying, "why didn't you warn me this could happen," etc.

Disk storage is very cheap nowadays and getting a disk to make the clone destination large enough (just as one must do for use with Time Machine) is an easy solution.

My sense is that the "developers" and the one guy who politely responds to all queries (including those in bold, red, underline fonts) in this Forum are one and the same. Hiring more "developers" to add these extra options would require raising the price of the product, no doubt leading to more bold, red, underline complaints.