Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM

Smart Update - Not so Smart?

Hi, we're running SuperDuper (2.6.1 now that it auto-updated). We're cloning an old server's storage drive to our new server. It's only our files, no OS, users, etc.

The backup drive is an external LaCie. When backing up to it, we use Firewire, when restoring from it we use eSATA.

The initial restore to our new server drive (using erase and copy), took about 4 hours for 350GB (averaging about 20MB/s).

So I did one last Smart Update from the old server to get today's files, and it went as expected. Took about 5 minutes and copied about 1.2GB over.

So I assumed it would take the same 5 minutes (or less) to restore to the new server using Smart Update, as it is a newer machine, with faster drives, using eSATA. But it looks like it's replacing ALL files again! It's been 45 min, and it says only 40,000 of 130,000 files evaluated and copied! And it definitely says it's using 'Smart Update'.

I'm afraid to stop it now, as I'm not sure what state it will leave it in. But now I was planning on changing our server over but have to wait 4 more hours for the few files to copy over! This is not very 'smart' in my opinion.

Both systems are identical 10.4.11 server editions (they were cloned earlier). And again, there are no OS system items. Our boot drive is a separate drive altogether.