Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SuperDuper and Parallels VM (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405)

snpower 05-16-2007 09:24 PM

SuperDuper and Parallels VM

I had to start a new user account and then move all my data over to it; this account was first backed up using SD (smart update on a weekly basis). My Parallels virtual machine is not accesible on the backup. Two questions: (1) Do you have any idea if it is there (not sure if you are familiar with that program's technology, and (2) is there a file restore utility that might recover the VM files. I'm asking the same question of the Parallels folks; I know this isn't technically a SD issue but I was surprised that the program didn't copy the VM files?

Steve

dnanian 05-16-2007 09:28 PM

We do copy the VM information, Steve; it's all in Library/Parallels, as I recall.

snpower 05-16-2007 09:55 PM

I found the VM files!! The external drive was indexing, and no results showed up in spotlight. Whew. Thanks; I knew SD was pretty thorough.

dnanian 05-16-2007 09:56 PM

Yeah, it is. I have Parallels here and it does copy...

TomBB 05-17-2007 10:27 PM

Location of parallels files?

I see the library/parallels folder (41.5mb) and the home/documents/parallels folder (6.35gb).

And I see that in the folder in the home/documents is teh winxp.hdd (5.82gb) file. I assume this is the actual disk image of your virtual windows machine in its entirety, including the OS and user files.

I wanted to make sure it is being backed up, so I explored what files I could.
FYI, earlier I had to wipe my mac and start over (without SD!). I rinstalled a new system and then copied my own documents back in. I reinstalled parallels and windows xp, and tried to fire up parallels--it couldn't find my files. I then found the windows xp.pvs file, clicked on it and parallels fired backup up to my old files and all.

--had no idea what i was up to but at least if anyone else has this problem they may find this info helpful.

dnanian 05-18-2007 08:00 AM

The Parallels files are, indeed, documents and should be readily openable, as you saw. Glad you're OK.

timlance 05-18-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 12169)
Yeah, it is. I have Parallels here and it does copy...

So ...

When will we see a SD for us newbie Windows folk? (am now ducking)

Seriously. Have you been tempted to do a Windows version?

dnanian 05-18-2007 03:01 PM

I have not. My Windows development days are behind me. :)

Prinny 11-14-2009 10:01 AM

Parallels VM Clone Folder

Sorry.... I'm not a techie.... I have Parallels 4.0 on my macbook with quickbooks 2009 on the windows side. I don't plan to use the windows side often.... Having a copy of the church accounts so I can work from home, I need a little more clarification.

I didn't do anything special when I loaded parallels.... it created everything when installed and there's a "C:Parallels" icon on my desktop when it is open.

When you say that SD clones the parallels portion.... does that mean that should my computer crash, when I reboot, my quickbooks and files will be there when I restore? I do see a parallels folder in the library folder in my clone copy, but I don't see anything for quickbooks.

Just don't want to have something happen and then realize I needed to do something else so it was backed up. Thanks.

dnanian 11-14-2009 10:06 AM

The data for your Parallels 'disk' is stored in a special file on your drive. As long as you're not running Parallels when you back up, that data is copied too.