Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New User, need help. (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2812)

yebdox 09-02-2007 07:23 PM

New User, need help.

Hi,

I purchased Superduper after having trouble with "Backup", the Mac program - could rarely get it to do a scheduled backup of my office (medical practice) management data folder to iDisk. Read briefly about Superduper and decided to give it a go. BUTTTTTT...

The instructions aren't very clear (or at least I'm having difficulty finding it!) on backing up ONLY a selected folder. The program seems to be weighted towards an all-inclusive backup of data... the best I could do was to set up a script that excludes all folders, and then create an exception for the one data folder I want to back up.... so far, after monkeying with it for a couple of hours, it seemingly wants to check every fricking file on the drive to decide whether it should be excluded - after 45 minutes each time, it still has only reviewed about 60% of approximately 400,000 files - not a very efficient way to create a simple backup of about 600 Megs of data (?)

I assume I'm missing something here. If not, can I arrange for a refund? As it stands, I won't be needing it if I have to go through this, even with scheduling after work hours. Thanks.

TMay 09-03-2007 12:57 AM

Hi

Yes, something is wrong. I think you are right about all files being evaluated, but the time is way off. Dave will confirm when he answers, but just for drill, I just attempted to do what you are trying to do. Total time, five minutes 27 seconds (and that would be quicker on subsequent smart copies.)

I used a source volume with 463,000 files, 67.95 gigs, and copied two folders totalling about 540 mb. I also did an "erase, then copy" which also cost about 25 seconds or so.

Your script sounds basically correct...that is, yes, you exclude all files with the canned script provided and then make exceptions of what you want to copy. How big is the source volume, in gigs? Even if 250 or so, I'd think first b/u shouldn't run over 15-20 minutes, and subsequent much quicker depending on how much you change each time.

Another possibility, if you aren't copying to an internal volume, is some issue with the connection/path to your destination volume.

dnanian 09-03-2007 09:47 AM

TMay is entirely right here -- while it will evaluate all of the files on the drive, that doesn't take nearly as long as it has taken here.

If you could, please send your copy log to me at the support email address (you can copy/paste). Also attach your script, and I.ll take a look.

yebdox 10-09-2007 09:50 PM

Back again. Thanks for responding, I needed a quick solution and went with a package of 2 gig flash drives from Costco. I will try to start this process over, but am I missing something on the instructions? Is it really this tedious to select just a few files to back up?

After I try it again ( when I have a couple of hours to sit around :)) I can send you the system log, if it still won't work.

Thanks!

dnanian 10-09-2007 09:53 PM

It's not something we're focused on doing... we try to encourage people to back up their entire drive.