Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SuperDuper + VMWARE Freezes/hangs (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5144)

cuythoven 03-29-2009 05:39 AM

SuperDuper + VMWARE Freezes/hangs

I'm trying to copying my VMWARE Fusion installation (leopard Server), to move it to an old macbook pro, without screen and dvd-drive. Everytime I try to start the backup, it freezes at a certain point, when copying the files to the backup-drive.

I read some articles on other discussion panels to let it run, but right now it's running for 9 hours, and nothing happend. See the image in this thread for more info.

Does anyone have advice?

http://www.konijndesign.nl/fileadmin.../Picture-8.jpg

dnanian 03-29-2009 08:30 AM

Rather interesting that you're asking for help while using a pirated version of SuperDuper, actually. Nice work!

trainbuffer 05-24-2009 10:05 PM

SD! hangs and crashes server

Hi.

I'm not using a pirated copy of SD! :)

My situation is slightly different that the OP. Not running SD! in a VM...

I've had two server crashes and I think it's related to SD! and VMware Fusion in some way. The host is running 10.4.11 Server. VMware Fusion is the latest and it's running a Linux VM that is on all the time. SD! is running on the host and is set to do a backup of the drive once daily in the middle of the night.

The server has frozen twice now and I can only find reference to VMWare in the logs after the crash. It seems the SD! scheduled back-up starts but hangs, and eventually the server crashes.

Are there any log files that could be useful to find out if SD! and VMWare are actually the culprits?

Thanks.

dnanian 05-24-2009 10:08 PM

Are you trying to copy the actual VM's files? You cannot do that while the VM is running.

trainbuffer 05-24-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 24807)
Are you trying to copy the actual VM's files? You cannot do that while the VM is running.

Ahh, didn't know that. Yes, the entire drive is being copied.

What would you suggest to get around this? Exclude the VM files in the SD! backup? What is the easiest way to do that?

EDIT: Found out how to exclude folder(s):
- Enter an appropriate description
- In the 2nd tab, include the 'base' script you're going to extend -- such as "Backup - all files"
- In the 3rd tab, select a folder or file you want to exclude and click "Add". Make sure the command in front of it is "ignore"

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

dnanian 05-25-2009 07:41 AM

The other idea is to suspend the VM, copy it, and resume it... :)

trainbuffer 05-25-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 24811)
The other idea is to suspend the VM, copy it, and resume it... :)

Thanks....

Just out of curiosity, why can't the VM file(s) be backed up while the VM is running?

dnanian 05-25-2009 11:36 AM

Because it's an active, open, unflushed file that could be written do as it's being read. Even if copied, it's unlikely its internal structure would be consistent/correct.

trainbuffer 05-25-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 24814)
Because it's an active, open, unflushed file that could be written do as it's being read. Even if copied, it's unlikely its internal structure would be consistent/correct.

Good to know. Thanks again.

Just to be perfectly clear, does VM Fusion need to be off as well or just the VM(s) suspended?

dnanian 05-25-2009 08:45 PM

Suspended should be OK.

tuni 05-27-2009 10:17 AM

backing up with VMWare suspended - not turned off -"seems" to give me a problem when re-booting from the SD backup. Win XP keeps freezing. It usually works better (although the problem has resurfaced occasionally with Win XP freezing and won't open correctly) if I turn VMWare off before the backup.

Just my 2 cents...

dnanian 05-27-2009 11:37 AM

I haven't been able to reproduce anything like that with VMware...

Albee 05-31-2009 06:22 PM

I have a related situation...

I was reading this thread with interest. I also have a SuperDuper backup that hangs for hours and hours, and I also have VMware Fusion installed. It is running, but the volumes I want to back up from and to are external hard drives that do not have any VMware partitions. Will the backup still hang simply because VMware is running somewhere on the system? Also, I have Time Machine backing up my startup volume to a Time Capsule device, and it seems to work without a hitch even when VMware is running. Why would Time Machine work and SuperDuper not work in this situation?

Thanks!

dnanian 05-31-2009 07:08 PM

No, if you're just copying drives that don't contain 'active' data, it won't hang.

Time Machine doesn't usually copy VMWare... and if the VMWare data is active, it's unlikely to copy it properly!

Albee 06-01-2009 12:41 PM

re: I have a related situation...

Thanks for the tip about Time Machine, but I'm still having problems with my SuperDuper backup hanging. Here's what happens. I have the script set up to Backup-all files: Smart Udpate. The software launches at the scheduled time each night, but in the morning, I still find it stuck on the first step: Preparing <HDD Name>. The backup was working without a hitch until very recently, but I have not been able to get it to work for the last few days. Again, I am trying to back up one external hard drive to another external hard drive (both are Lacie 2 TB big disk extreme+, formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I have VMware partitioning a part of my startup drive with a Windows Vista Bootcamp installation. This works properly, so my installation does not seem to be incorrectly formatted in any way. In any event, this should have no bearing on the backup in question, since the external Lacie drives are not related to the VMware installation in any way. Any idea why this is hanging? Do I just leave it and see if it will eventually complete the backup? Are the sizes of the drives a factor?