Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Auto shut down times out (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706)

eedrac 09-04-2008 01:37 PM

Me too -- Auto shut down times out

Hey Dave -

I thought I'd send you a little more data. I'm having the same problem. Logout is timing out b/c SD can't quit. I have a new Mac Pro w/ Leopard 10.5.4. I'm cloning my main HD to a partition of a second internal HD. The backup seems to work fine, but the issue is SD not quitting and so causing the Shut Down to time out.

I've been using SD for quite a while with my old dual G5 computer running Tiger and never had a problem, but with the upgrade to my new computer with the new OS, new drives and a new version of SD, I'm running into this glitch.

Please let me know if you need me to gather any additional info. and I'll be happy to pass that on.

thanks,

eric

dnanian 09-04-2008 01:47 PM

OK, Eric. We're still trying to reproduce this at all in the lab... no luck yet.

eedrac 09-04-2008 03:07 PM

Would this work?

Hey Dave - I was wondering if running a "shell script after copy completes" to shut down SuperDuper! would do the trick. I wrote a little Applescript that shuts down SuperDuper!, but I don't know how to make that a "Unix Executable Script" so I get the following error:

| Error | sh: /Applications/SuperDuper!.app/Contents/Resources/Copy Scripts/Quit SuperDuper!.scpt: Permission denied

Can you let me know how to do that and I'll give that a try? Here's the little Apple Script:

tell application "SuperDuper!"
quit
end tell

thanks,

eric

dnanian 09-04-2008 03:37 PM

Shell scripts aren't applescripts, Eric... but I don't think that's going to work at all, since it's already doing that. :)

eedrac 09-04-2008 04:43 PM

Thanks for your reply, Dave. Is there any way that SD can trigger an Applescript or another program, like Keyboard Maestro or Automator?

dnanian 09-04-2008 05:03 PM

You can use osascript, in a shell script, to run applescripts. You just can't run them 'as' shell scripts.

eedrac 09-04-2008 07:58 PM

Thanks Dave. Sorry to keep bugging you about this. I don't know what an osascript is. I've poked around the net a bit, but I have no idea how to create an osascript in a shell script that will launch an applescript that I've created. If that is easy or you can point me in the right direction, would you mind? I'd love to get this figured out, so I can launch the backup in the middle of the night and know that it'll shut down when it's finished.

thanks,

eric

dnanian 09-04-2008 09:24 PM

It's a command to do a shell script. But as I said above, it's not going to help if it's already failing, since it's exactly what SuperDuper! is already doing. Can I suggest you have it sleep instead?

RonaldPR 09-06-2008 05:49 PM

Still consistent on my machine: Shut down times out when I logged in shortly before starting the backup, only then and always then, regardless whether the login is with or without (shift key) login items.

I noted the logs, and there is always the same message in system log at the moment when SuperDuper! gives the shut down command.

SuperDuper! log:
Code:

| 11:29:38 PM | Info | PHASE: 4. And Finally...
| 11:29:38 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Shutting down computer
| 11:29:38 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Shutting computer down
| 11:29:38 PM | Info | Copy complete.

system log:
Code:

Sep  6 23:29:38 MacKanjer4 com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10baf0.nohup[1471]): Could not setup Mach task special port 9: (os/kern) no access
Sep  6 23:29:50 MacKanjer4 [0x0-0xdb0db].com.apple.systemevents[1478]: com.apple.FolderActions.enabled: Already loaded

Hope this helps.

dnanian 09-06-2008 08:13 PM

I don't think the 2nd one is related; the first is OK.

RonaldPR 09-07-2008 06:16 AM

You are right, the same lines appear in system log when subsequently shutdown occurs as expected.

I noticed something else:
Until now, I solved the situation by dismissing the error message, quitting SD! and then shutting down the computer.

This time I dismissed the error message, chose Shut Down... from the Apple menu and clicked Shut Down in the dialog. After about one minute again the error message appeared that SD! could not be quit.

Nothing at all in console and system log.