Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Totally Dis able Time Machine (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3184)

Larry Estes 11-16-2007 06:50 AM

Totally Dis able Time Machine

Hi,

Anyone know how to totally Disable Time Machine?

I'm a firm believer in SD and do not want Time Machine windows popping up and want me to do something; I will do it on my own! I do not need GodFather watching me!

Thanks,
Larry

justG 11-16-2007 08:07 AM

System Preferences > Time Machine > Slide switch to Off position.

ksrhee 11-16-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Estes (Post 15546)
Hi,

Anyone know how to totally Disable Time Machine?

I'm a firm believer in SD and do not want Time Machine windows popping up and want me to do something; I will do it on my own! I do not need GodFather watching me!

Thanks,
Larry

You can turn it off via system preference. BTW, what is being loyal to SD has to do with not wanting to use Time Machine? Both are just tools and they both serve different purposes. I use both tools to protect my system from failures and also for my sanity. Besides, TM doesn't ask for your intervention and does its function silently in the background. It's slow the first time since it has to back up the whole drive (except you have an option to exclude files, folders, and drives), but subsequent backups are rather quick. I have never noticed my system slowing down except that my external hard drive is working. Recently I recovered several emails (due to corruption) and images, and I would not have been able to do this w/o Time Machine.

I know everyone is entitled to one's opinion, but I'm getting sick of people trashing Time Machine w/o really understanding what its purpose is for.

Larry Estes 11-16-2007 09:54 AM

Disable Time Machine

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksrhee (Post 15549)
You can turn it off via system preference. BTW, what is being loyal to SD has to do with not wanting to use Time Machine? Both are just tools and they both serve different purposes. I use both tools to protect my system from failures and also for my sanity. Besides, TM doesn't ask for your intervention and does its function silently in the background. It's slow the first time since it has to back up the whole drive (except you have an option to exclude files, folders, and drives), but subsequent backups are rather quick. I have never noticed my system slowing down except that my external hard drive is working. Recently I recovered several emails (due to corruption) and images, and I would not have been able to do this w/o Time Machine.

I know everyone is entitled to one's opinion, but I'm getting sick of people trashing Time Machine w/o really understanding what its purpose is for.

No, you cannot turn off time machine this way; it still has a popup window that wants to know if you want to use time machine.

Good for you for using both tools, but I don't really care what you do! Either answer the question as best you can without all the extras or don't reply! I am getting tired of these people who think that they are little Gods and want to police everyone else. I'm not trashing Time Machine, I just don't want to use it yet! Don't read anything extra into my post! And I do understand what its purpose is; I did not fall off the cabbage truck yesterday!

Regards,
Larry

ksrhee 11-16-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Estes (Post 15552)
No, you cannot turn off time machine this way; it still has a popup window that wants to know if you want to use time machine.

Good for you for using both tools, but I don't really care what you do! Either answer the question as best you can without all the extras or don't reply! I am getting tired of these people who think that they are little Gods and want to police everyone else. I'm not trashing Time Machine, I just don't want to use it yet! Don't read anything extra into my post! And I do understand what its purpose is; I did not fall off the cabbage truck yesterday!

Regards,
Larry

Larry,

I won't engage you in this senseless debate, but I suggest you read your first message and decide for yourself whether my response was not called for. You could have simply ask the forum the question for how to turn off the time machine without adding your own opinions about TM and etc. BTW, I can turn off TM completely in my system preference and nothing ever pops up reminding me to turn it back on.

If you want to make sure, you can even add your hard drives into the exclusion panels in the TM preference.

dnanian 11-16-2007 10:10 AM

I agree with 'ksrhee' here, Larry (although Time Machine does prompt to turn on when turned off when you attach new drives) -- Time Machine does what it does pretty well, and is a nice complement to SuperDuper!, and vice versa.

It really isn't a matter of one or the other. They do different things well -- I encourage you to use both, if you have the disk space.