Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD 2.1: error processing extended attributes: Cannot allocate memory (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123)

DaleMeyn 04-15-2006 01:57 PM

sdsl, I'm not sure I have any of the "asl.log" problems, and use macaroni so the system.log file is probably under control. I've tried looking for these files, can't find them, even using the "find" option in the "File" menu. Where are they, I'd like to look at them and size them up? The sum of all the "log" folders I can find (in Mac HD/library and Users/home/library) is about 1.5 MB, but these don't include "asi.log" nor "system.log". Dale Meyn.

priller 04-16-2006 09:27 AM

Log files live in /var/log

DaleMeyn 04-16-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priller
Log files live in /var/log

That's my problem, where is /var/log? Can't find it even using "Find". Dale.

dnanian 04-16-2006 11:35 AM

Don't use Find, Dale. Use Finder's "Go To Folder..." command, and enter "/private/var/log" as the path. (/var is a link)

DaleMeyn 04-16-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Don't use Find, Dale. Use Finder's "Go To Folder..." command, and enter "/private/var/log" as the path. (/var is a link)

Aaaaaah, so that's it! I haven't gotten used to the "Go to folder" business, it's something new to me. Thanks. Dale.

sdsl 08-06-2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
OK. Attached is a little "prune_log" script that should work.

To use, unzip the attachment to an appropriate folder. (I suggest your personal Applications folder, but it's up to you.) Ensure that it looks like an "Unix executable file" when viewed in the finder.

Now, open SuperDuper! In the Advanced tab of Options, there's a selection under "After copy" to run a shell script when the copy completes. Check the box, and select the "prune_log" executable in the open panel.

That'll automatically remove any warnings from your system log on completion, assuming there were no errors during the run. All of these entries in the log are warnings, not errors, generated by the call I've spoken of earlier in the thread. Logging to the regular SuperDuper!.log will continue as usual, and no pruning will be done if an error occurs.

(For those who are interested, I tried to limit the pruning to just the SDCopy entries, but while the regular expression matching worked fine to restrict viewing to those entries, it wouldn't work to prune them, and I couldn't hardwire the location of SDCopy, which did work, because the user could have SuperDuper! installed anywhere.

What I attempted was:

syslog -p -k Sender Req .\*SDCopy

Without the -p, that only shows SDCopy entries. With the -p, it should prune those entries, but doesn't, and gives no errors. You'll need to put "sudo " in front of that if you want to try in Terminal, at least with -p.)

I've tested this here and it does properly prune the asl.log of these entries; let me know if it helps you out.

This script (which works well) was posted in mid-March. It shrunk the asl.log which was growing due to harmless error mesaages. Since then there have been I think two new versions of SuperDuper and also Mac OS has moved up to 10.4.7. Did either of these new versions eliminate the need for the script?

dnanian 08-06-2006 10:18 AM

Yes, the script hasn't been necessary since the version that came out after this thread.