Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Kernal Panic during SD backup (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2965)

otheroom 10-07-2007 06:46 PM

Kernal Panic during SD backup

I was just trying out SuperDuper on a Powerbook G4 running 10.4.10 and in the midst of doing a full drive backup to a firewire drive I got a kernal panic.

This computer had been experiencing periodic panics in the past and I had thought I isolated the issue to the old hard drive. I installed a new drive, put OS 10.4 on, user the combo updater to get it to 10.4.10, applied all the software update patches, and then moved over selected files by hand from the old drive.

I had a new firewire drive hooked up and was using SD to make a backup when I got the panic. In the system log it looks like the KP was caused by the executor crashing.

I've uploaded system log and the executor log here, maybe you can help me figure out if it had anything to do with SD.

Thanks

dnanian 10-07-2007 07:04 PM

I can tell you for certain that it had nothing to do with SD!, because we have no kernel components at all.

I don't know what Executor is, but what's crashing in this case is a JVM. But that's not relevant to the "real" crash, which seems to have to do with a hardware problem... I'd simplify your hardware as much as possible...

otheroom 10-08-2007 01:36 PM

Thanks Dave.

It looks like Executor was part of the ProSoft Data Backup 3 app that I had tried out. I ran their uninstaller and I no longer see any extensions named Executor.

I gave SD another try and got another panic. It looks like it got as far as copying all the files in Applications and part of the way through the files in Utilities before the KP occurred.

I just tried doing a finder copy of the entire Applications folder and I got a panic. It's starting to look more like a hardware issue. See as you're in the backup software business I was wondering if you've you seen anything happen before?

dnanian 10-08-2007 02:55 PM

Kernel Panics can happen for a lot of reasons, but it's usually due to hardware problems or issues with specific kernel extensions. Usually, the panic.log has the information you need (usually)...

otheroom 10-08-2007 06:11 PM

To make this even weirder...

I was just able to run a complete backup using SD. The only item of note that I can come up with is that after the crash prior to this the icon for the firewire drive changed from a yellow disk with the firewire icon to a generic white removeable disk icon.

One other minor thing (that actually has something to do with SD) is that after the backup complete and I hit the OK button, SD went back to it's main window and crashed.

Here is the log.

dnanian 10-08-2007 06:22 PM

Well... what crashed there was basically a graphics call in the OS. There's no real SD! in the thread that crapped out.

Do you have additional memory in this Mac?

otheroom 10-08-2007 06:30 PM

There are two 512mb chips. I've run multiple passes of memtest in single user mode on them and they've come up fine each time.

dnanian 10-08-2007 06:35 PM

OK. I'm really not sure what might have caused that; it's certainly weird that you've having these kinds of problems...

otheroom 10-08-2007 08:38 PM

Thanks for the input Dave. Especially since this obviously doesn't have anything to do with SuperDuper.