Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Strange opening to SuperDuper (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6970)

Ohroonie 10-22-2015 01:39 PM

Strange opening to SuperDuper

1 Attachment(s)
Since 10.11.1, when I open S.D. I get a spinning beachball and an incomplete page. The scheduling box is solid black. This remains for over 20-secongs.
PNG screenshot attached.

dnanian 10-22-2015 02:26 PM

Please drop me a line at the support email and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

Budgie 11-25-2015 05:22 PM

i'm getting the same thing using OSX 10.11.1 on a mac mini and SD 2.8, except the initial window is black as well, is there a resolve to this ?

dnanian 11-26-2015 08:36 AM

But it ends up coming up normally after a delay?

Budgie 11-26-2015 01:24 PM

yes, everything is as it should be after

dnanian 11-26-2015 09:32 PM

Do you have a large number of drives attached, or any 'network storage' devices? If you turn your network off (unplug Ethernet or turn off Wifi), then launch, is it fast?

Budgie 11-29-2015 01:43 PM

I have three drives attached, two permanently, one gets changed out daily, and I am on the LAN, it seems that the issue is present when I change out the daily rotate drive. After SD is launched the first time, the black window appears, then after that each launch is fine.

Disconnecting all the drives and unpluging ethernet makes the launch of SD normal.

This problem has not appeared in any other combination of SD or OSX's for me, even the version of SD prior to this one was opening with out the black screen.

dnanian 11-29-2015 01:59 PM

So, it only happens the first time, when the drive that was attached before is now missing (and thus you'll get a prompt to attach it)?

Budgie 11-29-2015 02:15 PM

Yes only he first time, I have fives schedules, one for each day of the week, and five individual drives, each drive
is swapped out daily at 7am, I see no prompt to attach a drive at any time, as the drive for that day is always attached prior to the schedule being fired.

dnanian 11-29-2015 02:33 PM

And you have it set to not remember the main window's drives?

Budgie 11-29-2015 03:13 PM

sorry, forgot to add that one of the two permanently attached drives has no backup schedule, it's used for other purposes, the other permanently attached drive is scheduled for two backup's daily.

not quite sure what you mean Dave?

dnanian 11-29-2015 03:24 PM

OK. Well: it sounds like it's just spinning up the drive(s), and the system isn't refreshing the window until it's done, since it's a blocking event...

Budgie 11-29-2015 03:29 PM

funny, none of this ever happened before OSX 10.11.1, to be honest the whole system seems sluggish, after that update.

cheers Dave

dnanian 11-29-2015 04:25 PM

That I can't comment on: I haven't noticed any particular sluggishness in 10.11.1 or .2.

macWish 12-20-2015 10:41 AM

Spinning beach ball solved (for me)

I was having the same problem on launching SD! and also Safari, Disk Utility and many other applications. Problem was solved by removing all of the items listed in the Login Items panel of the Users & Groups Pref Pane.
I have not bothered to determine which of the many items I had originally was the cause of launch problem. At the moment, I have re-installed only 4 apps in the Login Items list: iTunes Helper, Keyboard Maestro, and Crashplan. All the others I launch after login is completed by means of a Keyboard Mestro macro.

dnanian 12-20-2015 02:47 PM

Hm. I don't know why that would make a difference!

macWish 12-20-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 33404)
Hm. I don't know why that would make a difference!

One or more of the login applications interacted with launchd and somehow interfered with normal launching. Since removing most of the login items eliminated the problem and made restarting or logging in much faster, I did not go through the step-wise addition of individual apps to identify the culprit. It actually saves time to simplify the login process and launch the apps via a Keyboard Maestro macro after startup has completed.