Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   When will SD be ready for Leopard? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3142)

lucy 11-07-2007 11:44 PM

When will SD be ready for Leopard?

Hello: Does anyone have any idea when SD will be ready for Leopard? I have chosen to wait on installing Leopard because I depend so much on SD for my backups that Leopoard is not worth the risk. But since I manage 5 computers I am really anxious to enjoy some of Leopards' new network capabilities; thus, my question about when the upgraded SD is expected. If Dave or anyone has any idea, please share it. Thanks

dnanian 11-07-2007 11:53 PM

We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...

bernietheone 11-08-2007 03:52 AM

and right so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15341)
We're working on it -- testing and tweaking. We want it to be right, so we can't rush it out the door...

i too waiting in line for the update, but i absolutely wish it to be safe. I have other backup-utils who claim they were "Leopard-Ready", if you look at there forums, they're not....

I would even recommend to dnanian to wait for the pending release of 10.5.1 to make sure that it will REALLY work and that we can be sure that our backups are what they need to be: Something we can blindly depend on...

I tried Leo's Time-Machine, but it's not the way i work, so i will set the switch to "OFF" the moment i can get a Leo-compatible SD-Version and get back "in-control" and do backups the way i want it to be, not the way apple wants it for me...

As long as there is no working SD-Version Time Machine is a good interim-solution, no need to hurry...

Thanks!

Bernie

Stevamundo 11-08-2007 02:06 PM

Dave, can you PLEASE at least tell us if you're making good progress on a Leopard version on SD?

I'm VERY EXCITED of getting SD for Leopard!!!!!!

rincewind 11-08-2007 02:59 PM

I agree with getting it right. SuperDuper has just saved me with my attempts at Leopard installation.

I did a complete back-up of my pre-Leopard main drive. Then I installed Leopard and had many of the problems that others have reported -- blue screens, applications freeze, etc -- basically, a PC experience on the Mac. I worked on it for a while but it never became stable.

So I just booted to my back-up drive, copied that version back over my main drive, and now I'm back up and happily running a stable 10.4.x OS. I'm waiting for a stable Leopard version before I try that again.

SuperDuper saved me a lot of pain and agony -- and it was fairly simple. I'm back to enjoying my Mac again. Others can suffer with the early Leopard bugs, I'll wait it out.

jofallon 11-08-2007 04:05 PM

Ready when?

The minor little points that you guys seem to be taking so long to get right are the things that make restores from an SD backup work so well. In theory, you can boot from the Leopard DVD and restore from a TimeMachine backup. But with all the weird little problems with Leopard, who'd feel all that safe relying on TimeMachine? I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner for now, and it does boot the new cloned drive all right, but I wonder if there'll be some odd directory permission issue popping up when I use it for a while.

I'd just as soon wait for SD to get done right.

dnanian 11-08-2007 04:44 PM

We're making good progress, Steve & everyone. But, as I've said (over and over and over), we're taking our time to make sure it's right. It's something we've always done -- it's one of the reasons why you like us.

I'm sorry that we didn't have the final Leopard build weeks early so we could finish things up before it came out, but we didn't -- we're going as fast as we can safely go. Patience!

Stevamundo 11-08-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15350)
We're making good progress, Steve & everyone. But, as I've said (over and over and over), we're taking our time to make sure it's right. It's something we've always done -- it's one of the reasons why you like us.

I'm sorry that we didn't have the final Leopard build weeks early so we could finish things up before it came out, but we didn't -- we're going as fast as we can safely go. Patience!

That's good news! Thank you Dave.

It's not your fault if Apple didn't release their GM build of Leopard to their developers before they released it to the public.

nsaumya 11-08-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15350)

I've installed Leopard AND backed up (over my old backup) using SD! and just now discovered that it isn't considered ready. Help!! What should I do in the meantime until SD! is ready?

Stevamundo 11-08-2007 06:14 PM

Well, did it work?

nsaumya 11-08-2007 06:30 PM

It made a copy, and data files seem fine, but there are some strange added folder aliases: "var," "tmp," "etc"
Needless to say I'm not going to risk "testing" it to see if it makes a good bootable copy.

stokessd 11-08-2007 06:43 PM

those aren't strange directories, those are standard unix directories. Nothing to be scared of. etc is your friend, it's where all your settings live. tmp is just temp junk and can be ignored. var is where your logs and other transient stuff lives.

Sheldon

nsaumya 11-08-2007 06:46 PM

Thanks! That's reassuring. I guess I'll still be slightly holding my breath until the update of SD is ready (but it is sure worth waiting for!)

BarryB 11-08-2007 09:55 PM

Perhaps the wrong question

From my recent experience with the Spotty Cat IMO the question should be: When will Leopard be ready for SD? :)
Thanks to the life-saver, I am now back in Tiger and purring quite happily myself. All the machines on my LAN can now print - again.
Let's wait, friends, just wait. For Leopard to be ready for prime time, for HP et al. to get the drivers out, and for SD! to take its own sweet time.
Thanks to all, Dave, for a restore that went without a glitch or hiccup - and was very fast!

Lyle 11-08-2007 10:07 PM

Let's place bets on how long it will take for someone else to ignore the numerous existing threads discussing this question and start a new "When will SuperDuper! be ready for Leopard?" thread.

I'm going to say it will be tomorrow morning, around 10:30 a.m.