Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can I make the previously invisible folders invisible after restore? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1864)

mobydisk 12-07-2006 07:49 PM

Can I make the previously invisible folders invisible after restore?

Hello,

I have used SD! to restore to a new hard drive and want to know if there is a way to make the previously invisible folders invisible after the restore?

Thanks.

dnanian 12-07-2006 08:44 PM

When you start up from the drive, what's visible that wasn't before?

mobydisk 12-08-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 9727)
When you start up from the drive, what's visible that wasn't before?

Hi Dave,

Three folders are visible - all aliases - etc, tmp, var.

dnanian 12-08-2006 11:04 AM

How did you restore?

mobydisk 12-08-2006 11:59 AM

I just cloned (copied using backup all files) from the old drive to the new drive. And now I have cloned the new drive (with those extra visible files) to what will be the new clone and I have another folder now visible, dev.

dnanian 12-08-2006 12:22 PM

Did you use Disk Utility to do the restore, though?

mobydisk 12-08-2006 12:32 PM

Oh, yes I used Disk Utility to do the restore.

dnanian 12-08-2006 12:41 PM

OK. This is a bug in Disk Utility, actually. While you can manually hide these folders, it might be best to leave them alone unless you're relatively technically inclined...

mobydisk 12-08-2006 12:54 PM

Hi Dave,

I am technically inclined. I work as a Mac tech. Can you detail how I can do this in Terminal or by booting into single user mode?

Many thanks,
Marianne

mobydisk 12-08-2006 01:38 PM

I think I solved it.

What I did was go into TextEdit, set the format to plain text, and listed:

var
etc
tmp

Saved as .hidden to the root level of the drive.
Restarted - the folders are now invisible. Ran Disk Utility to verify the drive and the permissions - no problems.

Now I am thinking to do the same thing on the backup drive. These are both internal SATA drives BTW. Do you think that doing this will have any bad effect on SuperDuper! and SmartUpdate or do you think I should re-do a full clone to the backup drive now that those files are invisible.

Thanks.

dnanian 12-08-2006 01:39 PM

OK. With the developer tools installed, you'll want to use "SetFile" to turn on the invisible flag:

Code:

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V folder-name

dnanian 12-08-2006 01:40 PM

That'll work too, but that's the "Panther" way: Tiger changed over to attributes. It'll have no effect at all, so don't be concerned. But it might not work with future OS releases.

mobydisk 12-08-2006 01:56 PM

By "might not work with future OS releases" do you mean that it may cause a conflict or that the hidden folders might just be visible again?

Do you recommend doing the same thing on the backup drive and continuing with SmartUpdate or erase the backup and allowing SuperDuper! to do a full backup?

Thanks.
Marianne

dnanian 12-08-2006 02:35 PM

Smart Update is just fine. And -- I think they'll just be visible again. You can do the SetFile thing too, though. :)

mobydisk 12-08-2006 02:50 PM

Thanks lots Dave. Have a great day. Howdy to Taiko.

Marianne