Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leopard Support: When? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3097)

dnanian 11-04-2007 05:01 PM

It's possible. I can't promise anything: not a case I've tested with 2.1.4.

justflybob 11-04-2007 05:14 PM

Oh, and David, one last point regarding the SD backup of my MBP 17 C2D 1.0 Leopard 160GB backup to the WD 250 My Book FireWire 400.....

The backup took a very long time, which I am quite sure you are aware of, as your comments regarding the rather massive data bit changes in Leopard would imply. The backup to the My Book did seem to complete, though, and only hung on the reboot from the My Book. All of this is quite a testament to your developer SW skills, BTW.

Please do not take any of my comments as a challenge to you or your company. I just would rather not wait for a month or so to attempt a clean install with data migration. I have already seen enough funkiness from the upgrade path I choose. So, anything I try at this point is all on me. I just would appreciate your thoughts on whether you thought it might work, from a current SW developer (you) to former HW developer (me) point of view. Please feel free to PM me, if you would rather answer in private. I fully understand (and do not appreciate) the world of instant gratification and what it has done to this industry. It’s one of the reasons that I no longer live in the developer world.

dnanian 11-04-2007 05:15 PM

I already did, though. "It's possible."

NightOne 11-05-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justflybob (Post 15209)
As my luck would have it, their server/site is down for maintenance! :)

I updated the link. Try again.

Geqxon 11-05-2007 01:41 PM

I am not trying make anyone upset, but I read CCC 3 works on Leopard? I have a harddisk which is about to die on me (http://www.techworld.com/storage/new...2&pagtype=all), so a daily backup is really important to me.

Lyle 11-05-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Clark advises users to go to their System Profile, and under Serial ATA look for the revision number. “If it is firmware version 7.01 then you have to panic,” he warned.
I'm not poo-pooing the seriousness of this hardware flaw, but that quote did make me smile.

justflybob 11-05-2007 05:54 PM

Just thought I would provide an update to my experiment over the weekend.

I ended up doing a clean install to Leopard on my MBP 17 C2D, and then a migration from the <i>already</i> upgraded SD backup on my trusty WD My Book FireWire 400.

To my amazement, it worked very well, with only a few annoying permission challenges and one or two reinstalled apps required.

I also am checking out AppFresh as I type this...

Thanks to all!

rdlsmith 11-05-2007 07:12 PM

Leopard

Well I've tried the various install attempts on my 2 generation old iMac. Archive/Install, Clean/Install, Upgrade. They all had "issues" of locking up. The panic thing.

Finally, I made a clean install to an external FW drive and copied everything over manually. That seemed stable. In fact it seemed to work fine. The machine seemed snappier.

But since SD doesn't work with it I booted from the local drive and will stay with 10.4.10 for now. I'm glad to know that the copy will work though. Just not the boot. That's really not so bad. I can wait. Just wanted to know what was going on.

jwhitley 11-05-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokessd (Post 15192)
The problem that SuperDuper! is not available immediately is as much or more an Apple issue than a ShirtPocket issue. [...] It's the result of Apple and Steve Jobs' cloak and dagger method of product announcements.

Actually, this isn't Apple's "problem" as such, and has nothing to do with Apple's (and many other companies') penchant for holding their cards close before announcements. This is a basic reality of commercial software development. Before release of a product that supports Leopard, third-party software houses must test, verify, and fix any issues against the final "golden master" build of the new OS. Nothing less is satisfactory.

For the OS release to be time-on-target with third-party products, Apple would have had to not release Leopard to the general public at the same time as developers. The developers would need to have gotten it before the public, with some time-delay to allow final QA.

This model has a bunch of problems; I'll mention two. First, it (incorrectly) assumes that a new release of Mac OS isn't useful without some arbitrary mass of third-party product available with the respective seals-of-approval on the day of release. Second, it (incorrectly) assumes that there isn't a lot of software that will "just work", and even more that will work except for a few easily patched quirks.

Apple has done the right thing here, the only real problem is with some people's impatience. One could argue that increased frequency of developer seeds could help this, but few shops have the resources to continually adapt their code for unreleased versions of an OS. Worse, this approach can make more enemies than friends, since features that are in flux can cause a lot of churn for impacted developers.

For my part, when a new major Mac OS upgrade is out, I make a checklist of all of my apps (use your favorite Mac outliner) where I mark whether the app is supported on the new release. Once in a while, I go and update my list, and when enough critical apps are good-to-go, I'll consider upgrading.

TMay 11-05-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geqxon (Post 15252)
I am not trying make anyone upset, but I read CCC 3 works on Leopard? I have a harddisk which is about to die on me (http://www.techworld.com/storage/new...2&pagtype=all), so a daily backup is really important to me.

GEQXON

Just out of curiosity, with a hard drive (your principal one, I take it) which you KNEW to be dying, why on earth did you choose then to migrate? I can easily understand your need for daily backups; I can't so easily understand the need to migrate RIGHT NOW.

Geqxon 11-06-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMay (Post 15263)
GEQXON

Just out of curiosity, with a hard drive (your principal one, I take it) which you KNEW to be dying, why on earth did you choose then to migrate? I can easily understand your need for daily backups; I can't so easily understand the need to migrate RIGHT NOW.

It is working fine (for the last 18 months), but 3 of my friends already have a Macbook with a dead hard drive, so I'm not going to take any risk.

I've already ordered a new SATA drive for my Macbook to replace it before it crashes, and in the meantime, I'm going with CCC. Which I, by the way, not like at all. SuperDuper rocks.