Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Really Slow Transfer Rate! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4315)

leongdarren 07-18-2008 10:44 PM

Really Slow Transfer Rate!

I have one Hard Drive 160gb which I'm trying to clone to a Software Raid 1 two 500gb drives in an X-server. I'm using a registered version of SuperDuper and it's going by really really slow. It's transferring at 0.25 MB/S, I left for 4 hours and it only copied 3 gigs worth of data. I have a 150gb of data on the drive, even if I left it on over the weekend it would not finish in time for my office opening on Monday 7:30am.

I have the ACL settings on, but I don't think it should be this slow, right?

Please advise.

dnanian 07-18-2008 10:55 PM

Wow, no, that's really quite slow. This is to an internal drive? Any AntiVirus? Are the file counts going up?

leongdarren 07-19-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 20378)
Wow, no, that's really quite slow. This is to an internal drive? Any AntiVirus? Are the file counts going up?

I have my G5 X-Server in Target Disk Mode and it's hooked up to my Powerbook G4 via Firewire 800. Yes, I do have Antivirus on my Powerbook. The file counts are going up, but very very slowly.

I have (1) 160gb drive and (2) 500gb drives using RAID 1 in the X-server.

I figured it would be really fast because the drives are on the same controller.

I was quite shocked that in 4 hours time, it had only copied 3 gigs of data.

Please advise. I need to upgrade the HDD at work quickly because we are very close to our maximum capacity.

dnanian 07-19-2008 07:09 PM

Anything in your system.log or console.log that might indicate errors? We don't really have much control over the speed of the copy -- we go as quickly as the system lets us.

leongdarren 07-21-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 20401)
Anything in your system.log or console.log that might indicate errors? We don't really have much control over the speed of the copy -- we go as quickly as the system lets us.

There is nothing in my system.log that indicates an issue.

dnanian 07-21-2008 12:03 PM

OK. Send a compressed/zipped System profiler report, in the default (XML) format, to me at the support email address.

leongdarren 07-22-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 20424)
OK. Send a compressed/zipped System profiler report, in the default (XML) format, to me at the support email address.

Ok, I will let you know when that is completed.

I was wondering if I could make a complete bootable clone if the source drive is running the OS?

dnanian 07-22-2008 01:34 PM

Yes, you can do that, absolutely. However, you have to be careful with highly active systems.

leongdarren 07-22-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 20473)
Yes, you can do that, absolutely. However, you have to be careful with highly active systems.

Well, I would make the clone late at night with AFP and Windows services turned off.

Do you think it should be ok?

dnanian 07-22-2008 02:39 PM

You can try: note that you can use the before/after shell scripts to clean up other things (like checkpointing databases and the like).