Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Drive rotation (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5995)

paulp 12-01-2009 06:02 AM

Drive rotation

Hello Dave, June 2008, I asked you about how to configure it so that SD would use two hard drives for backup. (Case 69687). You very clearly explained how to do this and all has been working very well up until a couple weeks ago.
(The solution you gave me was use SDDiskTool to set each drive with the same UUID).

Since I updated my SD to the latest version 2.6.2 (v87) this solution "seems" to have broken in some way. I've re-run SDDiskTool and indeed - the UUIDs were different so I made them the same again. Now each schedule still fails with the message "SD can't find the drive Backup". Are you aware of this issue please and do you have any ideas for how I can resolve this?

Thanks,
Paul

dnanian 12-01-2009 08:45 AM

Have you deleted and recreated your schedule?

paulp 12-01-2009 10:09 AM

Drive rotation

Hi, Yes I've done that, and I've also erased and partitioned both drives to start again from scratch.

dnanian 12-01-2009 10:19 AM

If you partition the drives again, you'll change their low-level IDs. It sounds to me like you haven't properly set that up.

paulp 12-01-2009 10:23 AM

OK possible but - I partitioned each drive for apple partition scheme and gave each the same drive name as before.
Then I did the SDDiskTool routine afterwards. Each UUID was indeed different and I set each of them with the same UUID before then rescheduling a backup.
The backup schedule worked for the first drive attached but then always fails for the second (no matter which is connected for the first run).
I checked the UUIDs were the same only yesterday and they were.
cheers, Paul

dnanian 12-01-2009 10:27 AM

I have no idea why that would be, Paul, except if the drive doesn't have the same low-level ID. I assume the 2nd backup works if you don't swap drives?

paulp 12-01-2009 10:28 AM

Hi, yes the 2nd backup works if same drive is left attached.
Mac OS 10.4.11 if that helps. Only I've noticed another issue re tiger that you say will be resolved in next update - and just wonder if this is a related issue?

dnanian 12-01-2009 10:46 AM

No, not related. That was only backup on connect.

If you start SuperDuper, select the drive and quit and restart, it should remember the drives.

Then, attach the other drive. Does it start and prompt for a missing drive?

paulp 12-01-2009 10:56 AM

I've only got vnc access from here today, so I'll talk someone in the office through doing this, and I'll come back to you about it later. Thanks, Paul

paulp 12-01-2009 11:21 AM

Sorry, can you clarify....

If you start SuperDuper, select the drive and quit and restart, it should remember the drives.
*Do you mean quit and restart the mac OR SD? And leave 1st drive attached through this?

Then, attach the other drive. Does it start and prompt for a missing drive?[/QUOTE]
*Do you mean disconnect drive1 and then mount drive2?

Thanks.
Paul

dnanian 12-01-2009 11:27 AM

I mean restart SD, and no, disconnect drive 1 and attach drive 2.

paulp 12-01-2009 01:20 PM

OK - I watched as drive1 was mounted and SD launched.
SD gave the "cannot find backup drive" dialog.
The drive was chosen under target and SD was quit.
Relaunch SD and it then saw drive1.
SD quit and drive1 ejected.
Drive2 mounted and SD launched gave same error dialog.
(The drive2 was used for backup last night (albeit manually) so SD had used drive2 before.)

cheers, Paul

dnanian 12-01-2009 04:07 PM

That means the drives do not have the same low-level ID, Paul...