Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Back up then Swap Internal Hard Drive (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3164)

jcprosser 11-12-2007 04:51 AM

Back up then Swap Internal Hard Drive

Hi

Right now I have Super duper backing up my ibooks hard drive which is the standard 60GB onto a 120GB HD. It is doing a full backup. The hardrive is in a USB enclosure just for the backup, then the old hard drive will go inside the enclosure. What I want to know is, once this full backup is finished, can I simply take the new HD and swap it for the 60GB and the system will boot as if nothing ever happened? The new Hard Drive is formatted to APM, which my G4 needs to boot up. :confused:

dnanian 11-12-2007 11:57 AM

Rename the drive to the same name as the source, and yes -- should work.

t3rockhall 11-12-2007 12:45 PM

How 'bout this?
My wife's G4/867 10.4.10 (email and games only, primarily) has died (power supply, I think) but I expect the HD to be fine. So I bought (and am waiting for) an identical computer on the cheap (VERY cheap) on eBay. I plan to put the old 60 gig HD into the master ATA slot, and slave the 40 that the eBay computer is coming with. I had hoped to be able to SD from the 60 to the 40, but obviously, they can't both have the same name.

My own G5 external backup doesn't have the same name either, but it works just fine in both directions. Actually, I did try to name it the same, and sometimes the new name shows, and other times not.

Any suggestions?

dnanian 11-12-2007 01:25 PM

The reason to have the drive named the same is so, when you switch them, ay aliases resolve to the proper volume. Not quit esure why they can't have the same name in your case, though...

t3rockhall 11-12-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15439)
The reason to have the drive named the same is so, when you switch them, ay aliases resolve to the proper volume. Not quit esure why they can't have the same name in your case, though...

IF I have 2 ATA drives in the same computer, I doubt that they can be named the same (but I don't know)

dnanian 11-12-2007 02:10 PM

They can. Remember: the point is to name the replacement drive the same as the original. You can later rename the original to something else.

wuulfgar 01-04-2008 03:00 PM

Games failing on new cloned drive

I wonder if this is my problem with Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4. I had an internal 160GB drive in my Powermac G5 dual 2.0GHz. I installed a new SATA2 250GB drive (which down rates to 1.5Gbs/s throughput) and partitioned 100GB for 10.4.11 and 132GB for Leopard (Real Soon Now). I duped my existing install to the new 100GB partition but had it named something different from the original volume. I booted to the new cloned install and everything seemed to be working (famous last words) so I wiped the 160GB drive to make it a data drive visible to both 10.4.11 and Leopard. So far Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 fail to run but most other apps I've tried so far work. I've even tried installing Call of Duty 2 all over again and it refuses to run, complaining that it can't find the data folder. I've renamed the new 100GB partition to the same name the 160GB had. I've rebooted. I've tried CoD2 fresh and after installing the 1.3 patch both on the current boot volume and on the data volume. No go. Always the "could not locate data folder" error even though the data folder is clearly right there and the game CD is in the optical drive. Quake 4 just flat out fails to start, crapping out while trying to load the game. Like I said, other apps are working fine and keychain is fine and everything else is fine. Any thoughts?

dnanian 01-04-2008 03:01 PM

Nothing offhand, unfortunately. Anything in the console that might indicate the actual nature of the problem?