Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   File Placement Questions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5482)

Paint Guy 07-28-2009 06:02 PM

File Placement Questions

Question 1
I am going to copy all of my files from my external hard drive to my mac and then just clone the whole thing onto an external drive (Applications and Art Files) and I am wondering if this is the best method? Will adding 112 GB to my mac HD slow it down at all?

Question 2
Here's how I thought I could do this. Please give me your opinions! :)

?Mac Hard Drive: Store all Art/Client work (112 GB) on Mac Hard Drive.
?Buy a Terrabyte External Hard Drive then Clone entire mac hard Drive to it along with all applications.

Does this sound like a good plan for backup. Would this mean that if my mac HD went down I could just boot from the External Terrabyte?
What do I need to do to ensure I can boot from the external drive if the mac HD bites it?

Question 3
I'd like to hear from others who have "large" art files and how they organize their files. Do you save them to your mac hard drive and then just clone them with applications or some other method?
I have 112 GB of files and I am just wondering what the best method would be as I am ading to it every day. Do you back up work to DVD's too or just use an external?

Question 4
Do I have to place the files in any particular place on my mac hard drive? I thought I read somewhere that I needed to place the files in "Users" for Super Duper to make it "bootable".

Question 5
Can I just create a folder within my mac hard drive root and name it "Backup Hard Drive" and then copy all of my Clients work (112 GB) into it?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just want to do this right! :)
Thanks
________
Ayelet live

dnanian 07-28-2009 10:27 PM

Since you've asked these questions in mail, and I've responded there, I'm going to leave this message alone and allow others to chip in should they wish.

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 25778)
Since you've asked these questions in mail, and I've responded there, I'm going to leave this message alone and allow others to chip in should they wish.

Thanks Dave, I just want to see what methods others are using to store files.

Well I am leaning towards buying a 1 TB Hard Drive then partitioning it into 2 parts. 1/2 for the OS and 1/2 for my Artwork/Client Work etc. If I use Super Duper I can clone the entire OS and just reboot from the external hard drive if need be.

Also, if my computer takes a nosedive and needs repair, I don't have to worry about the repair shop seeing all of my files. The mac guy also said that the OS should run faster if all of my files are on a separate drive.

Anyone using a similar method and does it work pretty good?
________
Web Shows

dnanian 07-29-2009 11:56 AM

Your OS is not going to run faster if you're using the same drive, partitioned into two volumes, for both OS and files, no.

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 25801)
Your OS is not going to run faster if you're using the same drive, partitioned into two volumes, for both OS and files, no.

Currently, when I am working on a project, I will just save it to the LaCie external hard drive, but I am a bit confused as to how to do it once I buy Super Duper?

If I buy another 1 Terrabyte Drive will I just drag the files from the LaCie External Drive onto the TB drive. I don't see why I need Super Duper to do that, but I am so confused now I don't know what to do.

All I want to do is to have a backup of my files and OS in case my computer tanks and then have it do incremental update on a daily basis, but I am getting so many different opinions of how to do this I really don't know what or how I am going to do this now.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 02:17 PM

OK, after reading the Super Duper manual a second time I think it is slowly making sense. I will give this a try but first Dave, could you please carefully look at my steps and tell me if I am doing this right? Thanks :)

Step #1
I will partition a 1 TB Hard Drive into 2 separate partitions. 1/2 for the mac OS and 1/2 for my work so 500 GB each. The entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I will give both partitions separate names like: "Mac OS" for one partition and "ARTWORK" for the other partition. Is this Correct?
BTW any ideas on names that might be appropriate?

Step #2
Now I will open Super Duper and Clone my mac Hard Drive to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "Mac OS" using: "Backup ? all files" so it can be Bootable if need be. I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

Step #3
Now using Super Duper I would select my LaCie External Hard Drive and Clone it to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "ARTWORK" using: "Backup ? all files". I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

Results
Now I have:
Mac Hard Drive - Mac OS and Applications only!
LaCie Hard Drive - Artwork only!
1 TB Hard Drive - 500 GB (OS and Applications) and 500 GB (Artwork)

Is this correct. Are there any steps or things I have missed or need to know?

________
Live sex

dnanian 07-29-2009 02:40 PM

Well, not quite.

Yes, you can partition your backup drive however you'd like, and name them whatever you'd like. Note that the entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Step 2 is fine. To update that backup, you'll use "Smart Update", not "Erase, then copy".

Step 3 should be "Backup - all files", not "Backup - user files". "Backup - user files" backs up your Home folders (the "Users" directory). As above, subsequent updates would likely be with Smart Update.

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 25814)
Well, not quite.

Yes, you can partition your backup drive however you'd like, and name them whatever you'd like. Note that the entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".Step 2 is fine. To update that backup, you'll use "Smart Update", not "Erase, then copy".
Step 3 should be "Backup - all files", not "Backup - user files". "Backup - user files" backs up your Home folders (the "Users" directory). As above, subsequent updates would likely be with Smart Update.

Dave, ok I think I'm almost there. Thanks for your patience!

Step #1
I will partition a 1 TB Hard Drive into 2 separate partitions. 1/2 for the mac OS and 1/2 for my work so 500 GB each. The entire drive has one partition scheme (GUID), and the volumes should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I will give both partitions separate names like: "Mac OS" for one partition and "ARTWORK" for the other partition.

When you said "well not quite" at the top of your post, did you mean Step #1 was not right? Can you please tell if Step #1 is right now?

Step #2
Now I will open Super Duper and Clone my mac Hard Drive to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "Mac OS" using: "Backup ? all files" so it can be Bootable if need be. I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

I changed Step #2 (above) can you please tell me if this is now right?

Step #3
Now using Super Duper I would select my LaCie External Hard Drive and Clone it to the 1 TB Hard Drive side named "ARTWORK" using: "Backup ? all files". I will leave Repair Permissions "unchecked". The first time I copy files to an empty HD I will select: "Erase Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD". Any subsequent backups I will use "Smart Update Sandbox from Macintosh HD" so Super Duper is only copying any "changed" files and not replacing everything. Is this correct?

I changed Step #3 (above) can you please tell me if this is now right?

About Step #3. I didn't think my "Artwork" needed to be bootable so that's why I initially chose (Backup - User Files) but I reread the manual and changed it to "Backup ? all files" like you recommended! :)
________
NEXIUM SETTLEMENTS

dnanian 07-29-2009 05:36 PM

That all looks fine.

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 25817)
That all looks fine.

Thanks Dave. You have been a great help! Hopefully this will go smoothly. :)
________
Firegirl

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 10:57 PM

Couple of Questions along the way.

1. Do I select (Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility) or do I need to use Disc Utility from the Mac Installer Discs? I was always told you should always use Disc Utility from the installer discs.

2. Do I need to select "GUID" only because of the problems with the Western Digital Hard Drives. Is this just a precaution? A lot of instructions on the net don't include "GUID" in their instructions, so is it really necessary?What if I use a LaCie, do I still need to select GUID?

3. Here's what I read on the net regarding erasing the Hard drive before partitioning.

"In versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.5, or when changing the partition scheme in Mac OS X 10.5, partitioning your hard drive with Disk Utility erases all the information on the drive. In Mac OS X 10.5, as an extra precaution, UITS recommends backing up all of your important files before partitioning your drive."

I am running 10.5.4 so I don't need to erase anything before I format an External Hard Drive. Correct!

________
NaughtyChick4U cam

dnanian 07-29-2009 11:01 PM

1. Either.

2. No, you want GUID because (if) you have an Intel Mac.

3. No, partitioning erases.

Paint Guy 07-29-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 25824)
1. Either.

2. No, you want GUID because (if) you have an Intel Mac.

3. No, partitioning erases.

Thank you. I just read that Disc Utility from (Applications > Utilities) is the way to go.. Thanks :)
________
Park Royal 3 Condo Pattaya

Paint Guy 07-30-2009 06:57 PM

Dave, I am thoroughly impressed with Super Duper's ease of use and the job it did.

A couple of questions

1. There were a few MB of data that Super Duper didn't backup. My LaCie which I wrote from was 111.78 GB and when I checked what Super Duper copied to the Backup HD it said. 111.72 GB that's a discrepancy of 6 mb of data. I am not concerned but why the difference?

2. I selected "Click to allow copying without password authentication".
If I require password authentication on all files then what would happen if I tried to use the files on another mac or a new mac if mine packed it in? I wouldn't be allowed to access any files would I?

3. I think I will unmount the Backup Hard Drive and then only write my files to the LaCie, then on Fridays I can hook up the Backup Drive and write any new files to it.
I guess the Scheduler is something I can try too but it's probably not a good idea to leave the Backup HD attached and spinning if I am not going to write to it is it.

Thanks
________
Web Shows

dnanian 07-30-2009 10:58 PM

1. As stated in the "What's going to happen?" section of the UI, not every file is copied. Files that have no meaning across a restart are left (e.g. temp files, swap files, etc).

2. This is the password you have to supply when you click Copy Now. It has nothing to do with using the files on another Mac.

3. If you have the drive ejected, but connected, the scheduler will mount, copy and eject automatically.