Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   TM (spurious?) errors after SD smart update (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3679)

geeniusatwrok 02-20-2008 10:42 AM

TM (spurious?) errors after SD smart update

Typically after SD does its smart update to my external (which also holds my TM backup), TM shows a "!" in the menu bar and says "Delayed" in the menu. If I go to TM prefs and reset the TM drive, then it's happy and does an immediate backup. I've had to do this a coupla times now.

It seems happy after I reset the TM drive.

dnanian 02-20-2008 11:09 AM

It's going to delay while we're doing a copy...

geeniusatwrok 02-20-2008 12:13 PM

I meant that TM reports "Delayed" well after the SD smart update has completed. In addition TM will often forget the TM drive despite it being plainly mounted and ready until I point it back to that drive.

could be a weird TM issue... the 10.5.2 version seems pretty shaky.

dnanian 02-20-2008 01:19 PM

That I haven't seen, no. Does the "delay" have any other explanation, or new targeted backup time?

geeniusatwrok 02-20-2008 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There's no explanation (and if there is a TM log, I don't know how to find it). If I go to the TM pref panel, the "oldest backup" is "--"

SD finished its smart update over an hour ago.

As I said, once I reset the target TM drive, everything is OK until the next SD run.

If it happens again I will try to remember to click the red "i" in the pref panel because I think it will show some sort of description of the problem.

here's some pics:

geeniusatwrok 02-25-2008 04:16 PM

bump

Still having this issue... TM forgets the backup volume: "The backup volume could not be found" even though it's mounted and ready. Resetting the backup volume works until the next SD backup is run, then TM forgets again.

dnanian 02-25-2008 05:58 PM

I really don't have a solution for you, 'geeniusatwrok'. This isn't something that's happening here. Are you using our standard "Backup - all files"?

geeniusatwrok 02-26-2008 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yep, using same old smart update I've been using for ages. here's the schedule:

dnanian 02-26-2008 05:36 PM

That seems fine. I don't know why TM would stop working with the drive. Maybe send me a log from one of these runs, using "Send to shirt pocket".

dnanian 02-26-2008 11:18 PM

OK, there's another user who's reporting a similar problem, so let's try to get the same information in-house from you:

Could you provide me with a listing of the "root" directory of this drive, when Time Machine is OK with it, using:

Code:

ls -la
in Terminal (that's LS -LA in lower case). Then, run SD! and do the same thing again once TM starts complaining.

Send the results of both to me at the support email address.

geeniusatwrok 02-27-2008 05:22 PM

You've got mail