Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   iPhoto and iTunes library for notebook and Ex HD (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2447)

Greg14 05-31-2007 07:56 PM

iPhoto and iTunes library for notebook and Ex HD

Hi:
Just bought the SD as I got a WD My Book 500gb and would like to know if you recommend a program for a separate iTunes and iPhoto library for internal and external drives for one Mac.

I have about 2500 songs and 2000 photos on my note book and I would like
to have on my WD My Book pro 500 my extra songs and photos that I have on CD's as an extra B/U put on the external drive.

I know that there is a Libra and iPhoto Library manager and iTunes library manager.

Greg

dnanian 05-31-2007 08:00 PM

This isn't something I do so I'm not sure I can recommend -- but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Greg14 05-31-2007 08:08 PM

HI;

thanks for a quick response !!!

I just read another thread that said:
-----------------------------------------------------
iPhoto and iTunes
I know this has had to be asked before, but could not find it anywhere:

I am using "Backup - all files" to backup my PowerBook. I like the fact that ". . . no files will be removed" yet I don't want to retain the iTunes files and the iPhoto pics I erase on my machine.

I usually erase files from iPhoto and from iTunes between backups. These are songs and pictures I will not need again. So when I do a backup, the songs and pictures I have erased, remain on my external hard drive. I find myself going in manually after each backup to erase from the external those songs and pics I have erased from my machine.

How can I make SD erase from my external drive the iPhoto and iTunes files I have erased from my machine since last backup and at the same time keep all other files I have deleted (the ones that are not from the iPhoto and iTunes libraries) In other words, I want a true copy of my iPhoto and iTunes libraries but not of the rest of my hard drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may solve my question :

Are you saying that if I backup to the external HD my iTunes and iPhoto and then remove some of the songs and photos that they will stay in the External HD if i do not manually remove them. ?
What if I do a or a smart update ??

This is the first external HD I have had, I know, i know it was crazy not to.

Greg

dnanian 05-31-2007 08:19 PM

If you smart update, it's just like erasing the drive and copying the files you've selected from the source. So, any files on the source volume (not drive, but partition) that aren't on the source any longer will be removed.

Greg14 05-31-2007 09:05 PM

That's what i figured about the smart update.

OK, Next, can I do any kind of manual update that only adds new entries and not erase old data ?? Not keen on that idea.

OR:
make a partition for two one for iTunes and the other for the hard drive ?
I read a few articles that stated that if i did not need to partition not to do it,

OR:
Can i exclude a file from back up and add the new entries directly from the internal HD (open CD in iTunes) and manually move it to the external icon ?

Greg

dnanian 05-31-2007 09:46 PM

Take a look at the "Storing a backup alongside other files on a destination drive" for a general discussion of this issue -- I think it'll help.