Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best Itunes Library Backup Settings, Scripts? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1303)

greenjeens 05-21-2006 10:58 AM

Best Itunes Library Backup Settings, Scripts?

New to backing up...
What are optimum or suggested iTunes library back-up settings?

I'm using a Pushbutton Seagate 400 GB (FW initio) drive to back up my iTunes library located on another OWC 250GB FW drive. Clone booting from the Seagate works fine! I'm not exactly sure of the best Super Duper "Options" selections for backing up my 175GB and growing, music library.
Loosing 175 GB of collected music would be a real bummer.

I have initially chosen "Backup all files" and then "Copy new files" once a week.

What options are suggested, or are there any useful scripts developed which could be easily copy-pasted in the scripts set up?
I don't understand all the reasons for writing scripts to leave certain files alone during backup, but it seems like one reason would be so Super Duper doesn't run a long time updating trivial data, like last played dates in iTunes, when doing regular updates.

Also, a script was suggested so Super Duper doesn't update, IIRC, photos.

Thanks, Dave

dnanian 05-21-2006 02:16 PM

Nothing special is needed, Dave. You'd just create a partition on the Seagate to store the other volume of music, and copy -- using "Backup - all files" -- from source to destination. I'd use "Smart Update", actually, since you probably want to remove files that are removed. No need to ignore any files at all.

greenjeens 05-21-2006 02:34 PM

OK, that's way too simple:)

New Q,: How about if I wished to convert my entire library to MP3 and AAC formats on my backup 400GB HD and have those new files remain, without being duplicated to my smaller main 250 GB HD, after running Super Duper?

I have already created a 320GB partion and tested it out. iTunes library plays from both drives with a source rederiction setting.
I'm going to keep the the drive spinning steadily and try some alternative tempurature cool downs, hopefully inducing a quick failure of any weak components.
Can't tell you what a relief it is to make sure my beloved music library is no longer "at risk" of dissappearing suddenly. After reading all the HD failure horror stories, how could anyone not backup important files proactively?

BTW a number of posts over at Macrumours praised Super Duper highly.
And thanks for the fast reply, that's really great! So much to learn, think the smoke is starting to clear from my ears!
-
Dave

dnanian 05-21-2006 02:43 PM

We try to make it simple.

So, you want to convert from MP3 to AAC, leaving both on one drive but only copying the MP3 (or AAC) to the other? That's not really going to be easy with SD, unfortunately, because you're talking about a *lot* of folders with a *lot* of files that you'd have to create a script for... I'd probably suggest isolating the converted files on their own volume.

Glad to hear people are saying good things about SD! on MacRumors: it's great when people spread the word about software they like.

greenjeens 05-21-2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
We try to make it simple.

So, you want to convert from MP3 to AAC, leaving both on one drive but only copying the MP3 (or AAC) to the other? That's not really going to be easy with SD, unfortunately, because you're talking about a *lot* of folders with a *lot* of files that you'd have to create a script for... I'd probably suggest isolating the converted files on their own volume.

Ok trying to get an idea of the limitations of SD. The seperate volume sounds like a good idea, especially since I don't want to mix different formats.
The goal is to keep 2 copies (main and backup) of Apple Lossless format main library for bit perfect reproduction, and then another library of lossy compressed format songs for downloading to MP3 discs for the car and AAC/MP3 songs for iPod use. Three different formats with sometimes a couple of different song versions all showing up together in the main iTunes library is confusing. Although Itunes songs can be sorted by bitrates, multiple formats of the same songs all together just adds another level of complexity to organizing and burning.

This is more of an itunes question than a Super Duper, but any quick hints to creating a new blank itunes library for seperate compressed files?

-
Dave

dnanian 05-21-2006 03:28 PM

Sorry, I don't know offhand how you might manage more than one iTunes library with different file formats in it, but there's likely an application up on VersionTracker that'll do it with aplomb...