Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So what are your suggestions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3371)

DeathtoToasters 12-31-2007 10:49 PM

So what are your suggestions

I am planning on getting a new hard drive for mt MBP. I am currently using Leopard.

What are my options for doing an exact clone from old HD to new HD, Then I can just swap the drives.

Thanks for your advice.

septicdeath 01-01-2008 12:50 AM

ummmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters (Post 16329)
I am planning on getting a new hard drive for mt MBP. I am currently using Leopard.

What are my options for doing an exact clone from old HD to new HD, Then I can just swap the drives.

Thanks for your advice.

Superduper isn't gonna cut it, I just spent days (my own fault) because I backed up with SD from a 10.5.1 system, and then couldn't restore it. I don't think time machine will work without playing a 3 drive swap around, and a straight clone is all you are looking for.

CCC v3 is supposed to work, I am patiently waiting as a paying supporter of SuperDuper, but you asked what works right now.

DeathtoToasters 01-01-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septicdeath (Post 16331)
CCC v3 is supposed to work, I am patiently waiting as a paying supporter of SuperDuper, but you asked what works right now.

Have you heard of anyone using CCC v3 successfully in a clone restore?

mikebore 01-01-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters (Post 16332)
Have you heard of anyone using CCC v3 successfully in a clone restore?

I have done it using a CCC clone. You should probably head over to the CCC forum rather than debate it here, but let me just say I used the CCC clone to migrate from, after doing an erase and install, and all was good. I had a problem with Photoshop not launching after a straight clone back.

Restoring by doing an erase and install, then migrating in from the clone is applicable to Superduper! or CCC, and has the advantage of ending up with a fresh new OS.

If you have Photoshop, I recommend deactivating it before any cloning.

justG 01-01-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters (Post 16329)

Disk Utility works perfectly.

DeathtoToasters 01-01-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justG (Post 16336)
Disk Utility works perfectly.

How do I use the Disk Utility? I didn't know it can do that.

DeathtoToasters 01-01-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebore (Post 16333)
I have done it using a CCC clone. You should probably head over to the CCC forum rather than debate it here, but let me just say I used the CCC clone to migrate from, after doing an erase and install, and all was good. I had a problem with Photoshop not launching after a straight clone back.

Restoring by doing an erase and install, then migrating in from the clone is applicable to Superduper! or CCC, and has the advantage of ending up with a fresh new OS.

I am confused. Do you mean to reinstall my OS, then clone it? That would defeat the purpose...if I am understanding you correctly.

mikebore 01-01-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters (Post 16341)
I am confused. Do you mean to reinstall my OS, then clone it? That would defeat the purpose...if I am understanding you correctly.

Do an "erase and install" on the volume you want to be your new working boot drive. Near the end of the install process, before any user account is created, it asks if you want to migrate your user account, applications, settings etc from another disk. Select your clone and everything is migrated in, and you end up with a shiny new OS with all your apps, users and settings in place.

Alternatively, you can create a user at the end of the erase and install, and do the migration in afterwards using Migration Assistant, but you need to use a different (temporary) username from the one you will be importing. After you have imported your regular user, you can re login as your regular user and delete the temporary one.

These methods are equally applicable for Superduper! or CCC. I have done it for Leopard and CCC and it worked well.

justG 01-01-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters (Post 16340)
How do I use the Disk Utility? I didn't know it can do that.

I didn't either! It might be new to Leopard, but don't quote me on that. Disk Utility makes perfect bootable clones. It's what I've been using until SuperDuper! is compatible with Leopard.

So what you do is, you launch Disk Utility, you click your source partition, you click on the "Restore" tab, add your source partition to the "Source:" field, your destination partition to the "Destination:" field, tick the Erase destination option, and click Restore. In my experience, works a treat. I set it to do its thing while I'm sleeping, as since it's erasing the thing first, it's time-consuming.

Hope that helps!

DeathtoToasters 01-03-2008 12:49 AM

Ok well I tried your suggestions. Here is the issue I ran into.
I went to Disk Utility, then clicked on the Mac HD drive in the left menu. When I click on restore it asks for the source.....then it brings up the hard drive top menu.

I think it is looking for an actual diskimage. Isn't that what I am trying to create? It doesn't give me the option of just creating a whole drive clone or whole drive image.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Again

justG 01-03-2008 08:30 AM

Here you go, this is how I do it:

http://img.skitch.com/20080103-txaas...2us92nhcyx.png

Hope that helps!

DeathtoToasters 01-03-2008 11:02 AM

Ok I feel dumb now!

Thanks for the video, it was great!!!!

DeathtoToasters 01-03-2008 01:04 PM

Well it is working now...but it says 7 hours!! holy shiz!!

I cannot wait for SD to get working again!

justG 01-03-2008 02:02 PM

You're welcome, glad you got it sorted. Screencasts are so helpful to illustrate a point, aren't they? And yes, that's why I let it do its thing while I'm asleep. Ugh, I can't wait for SD! either. =)

bovardc 01-12-2008 12:37 PM

I did it slightly differently

Do you think my method will work or should I re-do it?

I booted my mac with the leopard DVD and ran the Disk Utility from there. Once in, I created an image of my entire drive (WINDOWSXP, Mac OS X) on an external drive. Once it was done, I ended up with 2 dmg files on the external drive.

My assumption is that if I would ever loose my main drive, I could restore from these two images to a new blank drive. Am I correct in thinking this?

The issue I had with the method described in previous posts here was that I was trying to backup my main drive and with the OS running, the Disk Utility says "Drive in use".

Thanks for any tips.