Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Auto shut down times out (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706)

TSL 08-08-2007 02:44 PM

Auto shut down times out

On scheduled backups, SD should shutdown and turn off Mac, but I get a message like "SD failed to close, shutdown timed out". Anyone know how to correct this. Thanks.
:confused:

dnanian 08-08-2007 03:19 PM

Does this always happen? I've had a few similar reports, but nothing I can reproduce at this end.

TSL 08-09-2007 11:08 AM

Happens everyday. This is the exact message "logout has timed out because the application Super Duper failed to quit". Thanks for any help.

TSL

dnanian 08-09-2007 11:41 AM

OK. It seems to work here, not sure what the difference might be. But I'm looking at it. Might want to put the Mac to sleep instead.

RonaldPR 06-20-2008 05:57 AM

I have the very same problem, but with manually started backups.

The problem started for me after upgrading the OS from 9.4.11 to 9.5.3. I have used SD for four years on different successive machines and OSX versions and never had the problem before.

I always do a manually started backup (smart update) at the end of the day of all files on my internal HD, always to the same external FireWire disk, always with the same settings, among which the option to shut down the computer after the backup completes. Sometimes the shutdown occurs as expected, but most of the times the message "Logout has timed out because the application SuperDuper! failed to quit" appears after a while.

I have not been able to figure out if there are specific different circumstances when the shutdown occurs and when in doesn't. However, I noticed that when the shutdown does occur, it takes an unusual long time (much longer than I was used to in previous OS versions) before SD is quit and the machine is shutdown.

If the shutdown does not occur, I can easily quit SD in any way (closing the window, using the application menu, using command-Q) and subsequently shutdown manually. (While writing this, I realized that I did not try a manual shutdown while SD is still running, should try that also.)

Interestingly, when I use the option 'Quit SuperDuper!' instead of 'Shut Down Computer' there is no such problem and SD quits soon after the backup completes.

Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
Mac OS X 10.5.3
SuperDuper! 2.5
(Time Machine Off)

dnanian 06-20-2008 07:34 AM

We've had a few reports of this and I'm still trying to reproduce it in house...

Alarik 06-20-2008 07:55 PM

Auto shut down does not occur

Hi there.

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.5.2, very standard installation. I set SD up to back up (using the Smart option) late at night and then to shut the computer down. That doesn't happen, although when I wake up the machine in the AM there is no message from SD about not shutting down, timing out. SD has quit but the Mac's still awake, though not noticably groggy.

In other words, a certain preference isn't sticking.

The Mac is connected to a wirelessly to a Netgear router to which a NAS drive is attached. However, the back up via SD goes to an OWC firewire 800 drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Alarik

dnanian 06-20-2008 07:58 PM

Sounds like you've changed Options to shut down the Mac, but changing Options doesn't change existing scheduled copies. You have to delete and recreate your schedule to change it...

edblanton 06-25-2008 09:48 AM

Same problem

Am doing a weekly smart update manually to a fire-wire drive on a Macbook (early 2007) running Leopard 10.5.3 with SD 2.5 (v84). Being paranoid, I option to have SD reboot the machine from the backup drive when it is finished, just to be sure I have a boot-able backup.

Recently (2-3 months), it always hangs on shutdown with the message "Logout has timed out because the application SuperDuper! failed to quit". After manually shutting down SD and then the Mac, everything seems fine. But it is annoying. Could this be a OS X problem?

dnanian 06-25-2008 11:06 AM

We have a few users this is happening to, Ed, and we're trying to figure out what's going on. Haven't been able to reproduce it at this end...

RonaldPR 06-26-2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonaldPR (Post 19923)
If the shutdown does not occur, I can easily quit SD in any way (closing the window, using the application menu, using command-Q) and subsequently shutdown manually. (While writing this, I realized that I did not try a manual shutdown while SD is still running, should try that also.)

I did later. After the message appeared that logout timed out because SD could not be quit, I dismissed the message and tried shutdown by pressing control-eject followed by return. Again the logout timed out.

dnanian 06-26-2008 07:41 AM

Were you able to quit SD! 'manually'? Did all the backups in this session succeed?

RonaldPR 06-26-2008 07:53 AM

Yes, the backup had completed normally and I could normally quit SD (from the application menu) and subsequently shut down the computer.

As I noted before, the problem happens usually, but not always. I succeeded in monitoring console log in both situations. There were some messages about SD and a line when the shutdown was initiated, but the log was identical for both situations.

dnanian 06-26-2008 08:14 AM

OK. Try trying to gather as much info as possible. I'm still unable to reproduce this.

jofallon 06-26-2008 02:54 PM

Auto shut down

For whatever little it helps, I can get my Mac Pro to either sleep or shutdown automatically after an SD job completes.