Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I like Super Duper better than time machine (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3048)

djlynch 10-27-2007 05:59 PM

I like Super Duper better than time machine

I upgraded to Leopard on 3 macs last night. Been fooling with Time Machine today. It's nice with slick interface, BUT I do not have the feeling that I would want to do a full restore from a catastrophic failure with it.

I definitely agree it has it's place for finding files you figured out you lost or deleted. But NOT a replacement solution for restoring from a catastrophic failure.

I know SD is not "fully compatible" with Leopard yet. But, is it "safe" to just do a plain old erase and full backup to my external firewire now...or should I not do an SD backup at all until the Leopard compatible version is out.

I'm not using any sandboxes or anything fancy or complicated. Just a basic 500Gb external drive.

I guess what I'm asking is would SD not be able to do a restore if I needed to under Leopard?

dnanian 10-27-2007 06:26 PM

You're welcome to back up, but the backup will not restore properly until it's updated with our Leopard version. It's not so much the file data that'll be incorrect as the metadata, which is even more important under Leopard...

djlynch 10-27-2007 06:31 PM

gotcha. I am going to keep a Tiger fully SD clone on one of my externals and use my other external to clone my leopard system using SD.

My thinking is that if I had a failure, I could just restore from Tiger HD and get the more current data off the Leopard HD if needed.

Anything wrong with my convoluted thinking? Since i HAD to be impatient and upgrade to Leoprad...b4 SD was ready!

dnanian 10-27-2007 06:48 PM

Might work... but I can't guarantee it.

djlynch 10-27-2007 07:12 PM

I understand...assuming a catastrophic failure couldn't I just do a clean reinstall of Leopard on a new internal (assuming the old went capuey) and just use migration assistant to move everything over from the firewire HD that SD cloned?

I did this last night when I had a problem installing Leopard.

dnanian 10-27-2007 08:25 PM

Yes, you can do that as well.

djlynch 10-27-2007 08:32 PM

Well there, SD IS compatible with Leopard! ;) That was easy... :)

dnanian 10-27-2007 08:36 PM

No, it's not. I want that to be clear: it is NOT fully compatible, and does not meet our standards.

djlynch 10-27-2007 08:38 PM

just kidding. Thanks for all the work you put into a great product. And thanks also making sure it meets high standards and not rushing it out!:)

Voix 10-27-2007 11:12 PM

I just want to chime in and agree that I like SuperDuper! better than Time Machine, at least for my needs. The ability to have a bootable backup makes the decision pretty easy.