Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD 2.1.3 on Tiger.8 no volumes visible (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1926)

oh2th 12-24-2006 10:50 AM

SD 2.1.3 on Tiger.8 no volumes visible

1 Attachment(s)
I've installed SD and when starting the Application there are no volumes visible in the source or destination. Infact Source, target and script popups are completely grayd out and I can do nothing with the application as can be seen in the attachment.

I'm trying to evaluate SD for usability in our environment, but if it doesn't work at all, it's not that promising. Or am I just missing something?

Running Tiger 10.4.8 PPC, with
***Disk Appeared ('disk0s3',Mountpoint = '/', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'OSX')
***Disk Appeared ('disk1s3',Mountpoint = '', fsType = 'hfs', volName = 'OSX Backup')

disk0 is internal to PB and disk1 is LaCie Terabyte disk USB2/FW400/FW800.

dnanian 12-24-2006 12:55 PM

That's weird. Please Quit SuperDuper!, and then try removing the "Saved Settings" folder in Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! off your Home.

oh2th 12-24-2006 02:49 PM

I did that now and it is still the same. No functions are available en the main window.

Additionally it keeps opening the User Guide also all the time. Somehow I don't think this
is the correct behaviour.

dnanian 12-24-2006 05:23 PM

If it keeps opening the User's Guide, it sounds like your Preferences folder is read-only or damaged... that might explain both problems.

oh2th 12-24-2006 11:28 PM

User Guide problem is gone and I can see it in the prefs not to open UG anymore. But the no volumes persists. Is there any debugging log or anything on the application?

If I run SuperDuper! directly from inside .app/Contents/MacOS on command line, I get the following errors:
2006-12-25 07:31:44.802 SuperDuper![2593] LOGGED EXCEPTION: NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument, userInfo: (null)

2006-12-25 07:31:44.803 SuperDuper![2593] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument

I've also found out that this seems to be related to my user account, though being an admin account still.
I created a test account and it seems to run ok. I suppose something in my environment is killing it but what. I don't know. I even tried clearing everything in ~/Library/Preferences but it didn't help.

dnanian 12-25-2006 04:06 PM

So -- it works if you're logged in as a different user?

oh2th 12-28-2006 07:56 AM

Yeah it does, that is what is so weird about. Now I've been migrating my user environment over to a new account and I'm getting again the same error message. And no preferences file is created in ~/Library/Preferences/. Instead when I start SD from cmdline I get still:
2006-12-28 15:50:31.580 SuperDuper![16709] LOGGED EXCEPTION: NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument, userInfo: (null)

2006-12-28 15:50:31.581 SuperDuper![16709] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil argument

I don't know what that exactly means but it seems that it's not getting userinfo or something for my account.

dnanian 12-28-2006 09:56 AM

It's quite likely something you're running or installed during the migration, since it works with a "clean" account. Have you tried holding down shift during login to disable any login application? It could also be your crontab, if you migrated that over too... if you do a

Code:

crontab -l
in Terminal, do you get a complex 'tab?