Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Restoring from sparsebundle / sparseimage using SuperDuper (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5980)

Kalkas 11-20-2009 10:23 AM

Restoring from sparsebundle / sparseimage using SuperDuper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27526)
Sure. Open the image, select its mounted bundle and copy it like any other.

I am not quite sure how to rstore from sparsebundle /sparseimage using SD.

How do I open the image? Shall I open with the DisImageMounter? "Select its munted bundle?"

I am not sure whether the guide gives instructions about restoring the whole disk from sparsebundle /sparseimage.

Can someone give step by step instructions about restoration from sparseimage/bundle using SD?

Thanks.

Alex

dnanian 11-20-2009 11:00 AM

The instructions are in the User's Guide under "Recovering from a disaster".

Kalkas 11-21-2009 11:35 AM

Hello,

I am afraid that it is not written in the guide how to restore a system from a sparseimage/bundle using SD. What is written is how to restore by using Disk Utility. I am not interested to restore by Disk Utility because Disk Utility changes the name of the volumes; see the old thread where I addressed this issue.

Could you please explain how to restore from a sparseimage/bundle using SD. You said that the image has to be opened. OK. But how? And then what? I have some ideas how to do it, but I am not sure, so that's why I ask in this forum.

I would appreciate if someone would help me with my request.

Kind regards,
Aleksandar

Kalkas 11-21-2009 12:37 PM

Hello again,

OK, as I said, I have some ideas how to restore from a sparseimage/bundle by using SD, but I am not sure if it is correct way to do it.

Here is what I think.

I open (mount) the sparseimage/bundle with DiskImageMounter application. I get a mounted disk.

Next, I open the SD, and choose the mounted image as the source, while as a destination I choose the disk that I wish to be owerwritten. (In my case, it is the disk on my MacBook Pro, where all system files reside).

Is this the correct way to do, and will the disk I choose as a destination be totally overwritten with the content of the mounted disk?

Kind regards,
Aleksandar

dnanian 11-21-2009 01:02 PM

That's exactly what to do.

Kalkas 11-21-2009 01:30 PM

Thanks for your reply confirming that I was on the right track.:)

Kind regards,
Alex

JoBoy 11-22-2009 08:03 AM

Do you use the Smart Update option?

aplnub 12-02-2009 11:34 PM

I restored from a sparse bundle tonight for the first time. The manual could use an update on this and a mention that you can start up on a pocket drive install instead of the startup disk.

sjk 12-03-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub (Post 28221)
The manual could use an update on this and a mention that you can start up on a pocket drive install instead of the startup disk.

Actually, if your system's booting/booted from a pocket drive then it's considered the current startup disk (or, more specifically, startup volume). There can be more than one startup disk/volume. :)