Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cloned drive misbehaves (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3495)

Doug Bale 01-30-2008 01:44 PM

Cloned drive misbehaves

Just in case I'm the only one who's had it — unlikely, I know — here's another apparently Leopard-related problem to be addressed in the tweaked version of SuperDuper!
After cloning my internal drive to a LaCie portable and rebooting from the latter, several errors and inconsistencies turn up:
— First, the LaCie icon stays in its former place halfway down the Desktop, while the internal drive's icon remains at the top, indicating it's still the one in control. But it isn't. The LaCie does become the controlling drive, even though that's not apparent.
— Second, the Dock, which the internal drive normally puts at the right side of the Desktop, now is in its original default position at the bottom.
— Third, all third-party applications, and even a few from Apple (such as TextEdit) no longer appear in the Dock at all, even though they're all in the cloned drive's Application folder and all work, more or less, when launched from there.
— Fourth, certain apps — some that appear in the Dock as they should and some that don't — fail to survive the cloning with their preferences intact. iCal, for instance, makes it to the LaCie, but sheds all its events on the way. Regardless of whether it's launched from the Dock or from the Applications folder of the internal drive or the cloned drive, it comes up on the screen showing no events at all. When the iBook is fired up again from the internal drive, however, iCal's entries reappear.
I hope these are headches the current tweaking has already solved, and not a further nightmare that's going to delay the Leopard-compatible release even more.

justflybob 01-30-2008 09:59 PM

Perhaps this may by of help.....

"Leopard Infomation
SuperDuper! 2.1.4 is not yet fully Leopard compatible. But we're working hard to get it done as soon as we can.

(Reasonably) frequent updates are being posted at the Shirt Pocket Watch blog, so stop on by!"

My guess is that you overlooked this item before you fired up SuperDuper! on your Mac running Leopard and cloned your external drive.

mikebore 01-30-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

"Leopard Infomation
SuperDuper! 2.1.4 is not yet fully Leopard compatible.
Like many others I am waiting eagerly for the leopard version and come here frequently. The statement above is often quoted and I have always wondered why the word "fully" is included. Now would seem to be a suitable point to ask.

I suspect that when people read that it is not yet fully compatible, some people think " ah well, it's at least partially compatible....I'll give it a go"

I don't think there are any circumstances where SD can be used usefully with Leopard are there?

Perhaps there wouldn't be so many threads like this one if the statement was more definite?

justG 01-31-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebore (Post 16885)
Perhaps there wouldn't be so many threads like this one if the statement was more definite?

Well, you might be right, but the fact that there are so many threads is what made me understand the statement to mean "seriously, just don't use SD! with Leopard 'til we have an update for you, 'k?" =)

Doug Bale 01-31-2008 01:25 PM

SD does do Leopard

Actually, I didn't overlook Dave's blog remarks on Leopard and Time Machine, but in addition to seeing the ones mentioned in this thread, I also read his explanation of how SD can work fairly satisfactorily, albeit not perfectly, with OS10.5. That is, it WILL make a bootable copy of your Mac's hard drive. The copy will show a few anomalies, but the main thing is it WILL be bootable and it WILL have all your third-party software that went south when your internal hard drive disintegrated. Having retrieved all those essentials, you can repair some of the anomalies (especially if you've backed all your user files periodically on DVD). What we're waiting for at the moment is not an SD that will perform with Leopard but one that do it at the extremely problem-free level we've become used to with Shirt Pocket products.

dnanian 01-31-2008 01:31 PM

Well, this is why the statement isn't 100% clear. The data is all there. Smart Update copies too much. Some ownership/ACLs are incorrect... and that can cause issues. Plus, booting can be a problem because of one folder that used to be autocreated under every previous version (during startup) and isn't any more...

So, if you're a skilled user, you can do a full recovery. But if you're not, it's best not to rely on it for a full system recovery until 2.5 is out.