Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   how to automount a drive before backup starts (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563)

audun 08-23-2006 09:23 AM

how to automount a drive before backup starts

hi!

I have a problem with SuperDuper!
I have a SMB drive "backup" that I want to backup to. This drive will only be mounted when backup is going on, and then unmount it after backup is done.

I have applescripts to do the mount/umount of the drive.
And SuperDuper! has the feature to run scripts before and after a copy starts.

The problem with SuperDuper! is that it does not run the script before it start the backup, it runs the script somewhere after it has tried to mount the sparseimage.

Could you dnanian please change it so it runs the script before the whole backup prosedure, or add a feature that will do this? Please :)

I can't find any good solution to solve this.

audun

dnanian 08-23-2006 10:24 AM

The intention of the before/after scripts are to act before and after the copying, so you can do things to the volume/image after it's mounted and before we exit.

If you'd like to do things before, and the action is scheduled, you can edit the script inside the scheduled settings package (in Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies -- just Control-click and choose "Show Package Contents"). We've put before-and-after-the-whole-operation entries in there for you. You can then simply disable and re-enabled the schedule inside SD! itself and we'll recompile the script for you.

egilDOTnet 08-25-2006 03:39 AM

I have the exact same request as Audun brought up.

Maybe I am just blind or plain stupid, but I cannot for the life of me find those entries or anything similar in the script. The only thing i find that come close are the beforeRunningCopy and afterRunningCopy scripts, but those are clearly executed after volume is (or should be) mounted.

Also, it would be a bit easier if you just supplied similar script entry dialogs for scripts running before mounting as you have done for scripts running after mounting.

-e

dnanian 08-25-2006 09:26 AM

Those scripts are run before SuperDuper! even starts, so you can mount (or do whatever else you'd like) there. The "after" and "error" ones are run after SuperDuper! has finished.

audun 08-26-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 8188)
The intention of the before/after scripts are to act before and after the copying, so you can do things to the volume/image after it's mounted and before we exit.

If you'd like to do things before, and the action is scheduled, you can edit the script inside the scheduled settings package (in Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies -- just Control-click and choose "Show Package Contents"). We've put before-and-after-the-whole-operation entries in there for you. You can then simply disable and re-enabled the schedule inside SD! itself and we'll recompile the script for you.

Thanks!

This worked great :)

dnanian 08-26-2006 10:27 AM

Great -- glad to hear it.

tonymontanawc 08-26-2006 11:07 AM

thanks for the info.

kerasmus 09-04-2006 08:03 AM

Scripts

Quote:

... I have a SMB drive "backup" that I want to backup to. This drive will only be mounted when backup is going on, and then unmount it after backup is done. I have applescripts to do the mount/umount of the drive. And SuperDuper! has the feature to run scripts before and after a copy starts. ...
I am in the same boat, except that I don't have any prepared scripts, and I don't know much of anything about scripting. I can learn what I need to, but I was hoping someone could point me toward information that will help me create this simple script to mount a network drive (via Ethernet) before smart backup (to a disk image) and unmount it afterwords.

dnanian 09-04-2006 09:14 AM

SuperDuper! will automatically mount a network drive without having to do anything. It'll then mount the image, back up to it and unmount it. The only thing it won't do is unmount the network drive -- but usually that's OK...