Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Where is "Backup-on-mount"? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5849)

gmachen 10-13-2009 10:23 PM

Where is "Backup-on-mount"?

I can't find anything on "Backup-on-mount" mentioned in the Revision History.
Nothing in SuperDuper!'s menus and dialogs.
The phrase "Backup-on-mount" does not appear in the User's Guide.
Nothing useful returned on a Google search: site:www.shirt-pocket.com/forums "Backup-on-mount"

How do I do it? Where is it documented?
Thanks!

MacCetera 10-14-2009 01:34 AM

Look in Schedule...

Performing an action WHEN something happens is the clue here... when a certain time or when a drive comes online is all under the Schedule... button.

So setup your backup criteria - source, target, type, and any advanced settings.... then click Schedule... to select either the time(s) that the backup will run -or- tell SD to run when the target drive mounts.

-- Marc

dnanian 10-14-2009 07:23 AM

It's also documented in the FAQ (Help > Frequently Asked Questions).

gmachen 10-14-2009 12:20 PM

Thanks, MacCetera, for pointing me in the right direction within the SuperDuper! app.
Also thanks to dnanian for pointing me to the FAQ.

I think my problem was that the Revision History calls it "Backup-on-mount," but the FAQ calls it "Backup on connect," which explains the failure of my Google search:
site:www.shirt-pocket.com/forums "Backup-on-mount"
I just tried:
site:www.shirt-pocket.com/forums "Backup on connect"
...and it came up among the very first hits.

Some thoughts, for whatever they're worth:

- "Backup-on-mount" is more meaningful & descriptive to me than "Backup on connect." (Connect what? Hard drives mount. Maybe network volumes can be said to connect, however.) Perhaps the FAQ should be edited. In any event, it should be added to the User's Guide, for I just checked and the phrase, "Backup on connect" does not appear.

- Originally my natural, intuitive inclination was to look for "Backup-on-mount" within a dedicated menu item or button, or among the "What's going to happen?" Options. You see, a disk mount comes across to me as a discrete spacial event, not a appointment in time, so it was counterintuitive to even occur to me to look within the Schedule calendar.

Hopefully you'll see fit to revise the FAQ and User's Guide, but I don't think I harbor any expectations of changing the app proper. I guess I'm just a spoiled-rotten Mac user from 1984, harking-back to the intuitive, user-friendly GUI era of the classic Mac OS before the NeXT boys came in made things complicated!

Thanks again for getting me straightened-out.

dnanian 10-14-2009 12:36 PM

Actually, the rename to "connect" was because "mounting a disk" is a nerdier term, whereas "connecting a disk" is far more commonly used amongst the non-technical. I obviously goofed up the revision history by referring it to using an old name. :)

Thank you for the other usability suggestions, always appreciated.

TMay 10-15-2009 06:49 PM

One add to what Dave said. You may actually sometimes want to "connect" (physically and electrically) an external drive without "mounting" any of the volumes it contains, or mounting only some of them. May not be too applicable to SD use, but still .....