Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leopard Issue or Something Else? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3343)

danmitch 12-23-2007 12:53 PM

Leopard Issue or Something Else?

Earlier this week I finally updated my 24" iMac from OS X 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.

Since that time I've had a problem with SuperDuper!. When I run my usual incremental backup, instead of updating only a few files nearly every file on the computer is being backed up anew, even though I may have made a previous backup as little as 24 hours earlier.

This is particularly aggravating because I'm backing up about 500GB of data to a disk image on a server on my network.

Suggstions?

Thanks.

Dan

davebarnes 12-23-2007 01:34 PM

Dan,

SuperDuper! does not work correctly under Leopard.
Yes, it does backup every file every time.
And, no, you can not boot from the backup.

Take a few minutes and read many of the earlier topics and you see a lot more about this issue.

,dave

danmitch 12-23-2007 02:34 PM

OK, did that.

But I don't see anything but descriptions of various problems with SuperDuper! running on Leopard, and an indication that there will be a fix (at least for an issue relating to SD and Time Machine...) in a couple weeks.

In the meantime, and in reference to my specific issue...

Am I correct in assuming that there is no option when backing using my backup to a volume containing a disk image on my local network under Leopard to the slow and cumbersome current approach of writing a new complete backup (rather than an incremental one) to the disk image?

It isn't clear to me from my reading here, but it appears that the non-bootable backup issue might affect a backup straight to an attached drive, but not to an image on a remote volume? In other words, will I be able to restore from my disk image backup made under Leopard and have a functional system?

Since I don't see anything about this in my "few minutes" of reading related forum posts, is there any way for me to currently do an incremental backup under Leopard?

And, finally, what does a Time Machine backup lack that might be provided by SD? (I already understand the issues with backing up to a network volume via Time Machine.)

Thanks,

Dan

QUOTE=davebarnes;16246]Dan,

SuperDuper! does not work correctly under Leopard.
Yes, it does backup every file every time.
And, no, you can not boot from the backup.

Take a few minutes and read many of the earlier topics and you see a lot more about this issue.

,dave[/QUOTE]

dnanian 12-23-2007 03:03 PM

Hi, Dan. The "Smart Update Copying Everything Again" problem is a known issue with 2.1.4 and Leopard that will be fixed in the Leopard version.

There's quite a bit on the blog about what SD! and Time Machine do (differently) and how they complement each other, so I'd suggest checking that out.

Hope that helps.

justG 12-24-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danmitch (Post 16249)
is there any way for me to currently do an incremental backup under Leopard?

No, not with the current version of SuperDuper!.

Hope that helps.