Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leopard and Smart Backups (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3086)

stuppy 10-31-2007 03:29 PM

Leopard and Smart Backups

Hello,

I understand that SD! is not yet fully compatible with Leopard. However from what I read here the only problem is creating a bootable backup?

Well, this is my first time using SuperDuper. I was waiting for Time Machine before I started my regular backups - but I found Superduper and it seems much better.

My issue is -

I am creating backups into Sparseimage files - from several disks onto one backup drive. I made a little script thing to exclude all files on the drives except the folders I wanted (4 folders in total - about 25gb). I ran the Smart Backup for the first time and it backed up the information. No problems I thought. Then when I ran it next time, again using Smart Backup thinking it would skim over pretty much all of it and maybe make a few changes - it actually copied everything again. The full 25gb.

Is there a reason for this that you know of? I let it do another full smart backup, then straight away did it again and it copied it all again - instead of just skimming it and checking that the files were the same.

Is this a Leopard bug you are aware of?

Thanks

PS Eta of Leopard compatible?

dnanian 10-31-2007 03:33 PM

That's definitely one problem we've noticed... yes.

stuppy 10-31-2007 04:16 PM

Oh good.

Glad its not something I am doing wrong then :)

Do you have any idea of when we can expect an update of the software?

Thanks.

dnanian 10-31-2007 04:22 PM

As soon as it's ready, stuppy.

drmoss_ca 11-01-2007 05:20 PM

The problems I note are that scheduled backups don't happen, but can be manually started. No log seems to be kept, or at least, isn't available by clicking the log button. Backups are not 'smart' - all are complete copies slowly and painfully completed. Looking forward to the Leopard compatible version!

Chris

mzupan 11-01-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15090)
As soon as it's ready, stuppy.

Are we talking 'Duke Nukem Forever' "when it's ready"?

(sorry... I've had that joke in my head for the past few days. Now it's out of my system... hehe)

dnanian 11-01-2007 10:55 PM

No. But we're not a "marketing date driven" organization. I'm not going to drive processes to a date, I'm going to methodically ensure that things are as they should be, and not use you guys -- the public -- as guinea pigs. We value you too much to rush.

So, when I say "when it's ready", that's exactly what I mean.

mzupan 11-02-2007 02:37 PM

My comment was purely a joke. I am behind you 100%. People rely on their backups, so I'm all for getting it right instead of putting out a rushed version with major bugs.

You all are doing a great job!

agentfive 11-04-2007 07:13 AM

We're seeing this same issue. I'm going to only have it smart update MWF instead - given the amount of time it takes - also the copy speed slows to a crawl at the end.