Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Smart Update clone co-existing with other data (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2612)

TXCiclista 07-15-2007 09:01 PM

Smart Update clone co-existing with other data

I've started having some issues with my Western Digital My Book external. One possible problem suggested on other forums is that the Mac OS dislikes My Books with dual partitions (or the My Book with dual partitions dislikes Macs ;)) and sleep issues can arise. I'm starting to experience this so I'm wondering if the following is possible and how I would go about accomplishing it...

I basically want to create one partition and create a folder named "Files" or whatever that Smart Update will NOT check when creating the clone. I don't want it to think "Oh, this 200Gb directory here isn't on the Mac so I probably needs to delete it." I'd rather it knew not to mess with this folder. Currently, I have a 70+250 partition setup and I'm wasting 40Gb of the 70 since my system drive is clean (I keep all my multimedia on the firewire My Book).

So, assuming I communicated the above correctly, how do I accomplish this? Can I accomplish this?

PS It does not sound like Sparse Images will be a viable solution for me. "Copy Newer" would almost work, but it's the removing target files that were removed on the source that I want to preserve.

dnanian 07-15-2007 09:03 PM

You really want to partition the drive. I really know of no problems with sleep and partitions -- I can't see why there'd be any issue at all.

TXCiclista 07-15-2007 09:19 PM

Yeah. I wouldn't have thought there would be either, but I've read a few comments on other forums that Macs and dual partition My Books do not get along so well. I could install the WD software that controls how the My Book sleeps but--you guessed it--the software keeps the Mac from sleeping (numerous people have complained of this too).

Apparently, Western Digital (like Seagate) is not putting just a whole lot of effort into the Mac market. Did you know they shipped thousands of firewire exernals to customers with a firewire cable that had the data and power ports switched? I dare you to find any mention of it on their sire. but if you register with them (or call) I'll bet you get a new one in the mail within a week. Ah well, that's a bit of a rant.

Anyway, i understand your concern and caution, but I'd at least like to know if this is possible if for no other reason than to actually test the My Book with one partition and see if that's my problem (or if it lies elsewhere).

dnanian 07-15-2007 09:25 PM

I definitely wouldn't install the software if you don't have to. Any other users out there with the MyBooks having trouble with partitions?

indigo 07-18-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 12993)
I definitely wouldn't install the software if you don't have to. Any other users out there with the MyBooks having trouble with partitions?

That'd be me I guess.

I have a My Book Pro 500GB which is quite nice except for one thing: After a timed sleep (not manually triggered) and subsequent wake-up I get an error message and the drive volumes disappear. It does not seem to remount properly after sleep.

There are two partitions on the drive: One called "Backup" for - you guessed it - SuperDuper scheduled backups, and another called "My Book" for data.

This is quite a bit annoying and I don't really know if WD is the culprit or Apple's FW support for the drive (I use the FW800 port on the drive and my MBP).