Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to Have SD and Time Machine on same External HD? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6046)

sgmorr 01-10-2010 01:04 PM

How to Have SD and Time Machine on same External HD?

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade from my trusty old iMac G4 to a brand new iMac 21.5 inch with 1 TB internal HD. I'll be going from PPC Tiger to Intel Snow Leopard. I haven't yet decided whether to do a pure manual migration of files and reinstallation of software or to give Migration Assistant a try. I've read lots of mixed opinions. Currently I have a full bootable backup of my Tiger installation on an external HD which I maintain of course with SD.

Another question or two:

--What size new peripheral HD should I buy? I want to continue to keep a bootable clone with SD and also want to use Time Machine.

--Do I need to partition the new external and use one partition for SD and one for Time Machine? I think I've seen reference to being able to do this with one partition but I don't know how. Does this mean I'd need a 2 TB external to keep both SD and Time Machine on it?

--Whick backup should I do first on the external HD? Should I clone my new internal drive to it or should I let Time Machine do its thing first?

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions!

Steve M.

dnanian 01-10-2010 06:42 PM

I'd suggest a 2TB external (high quality, don't get a WD external).

Please see the FAQ about storing TM and SD! backups side by side (in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the SD! forum -- Help > Frequently Asked Questions inside SUperDuper).

Doesn't matter which you do first.

TXCiclista 01-28-2010 04:01 PM

I'd like some clarification on this. The FAQ says to use Smart Backup, but Smart Backup specifically says: "will erase and copy what's needed to make Backup identical to your selections from <volume>." This is somewhat vague to me. Is the key in the word "selections," in the sense that there is no Time Machine sparsebundle on my source drive and, as such, it can't be selected so SD ignores the sparsebundle on the destination drive?

If this is true, does it means that I can create as many "extra" folders on the destination drive as I want and SD will safely ignore them unless there is a folder with the same name & path on the source drive?

dnanian 01-28-2010 04:04 PM

Absolutely not. Time Machine is handled specially, and is specifically called out in the "What's going to happen?" section of the UI for special treatment.

sgmorr 01-28-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28479)
I'd suggest a 2TB external (high quality, don't get a WD external).

Please see the FAQ about storing TM and SD! backups side by side (in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the SD! forum -- Help > Frequently Asked Questions inside SUperDuper).

Doesn't matter which you do first.

Dave, thanks for all the info. I've got one question more. I know you are not in the business of recommending hardware, but...

I've heard stories about problems with WD drives before, but my local Apple Store is selling lots of them now and saying the problems are fixed. I'm not about to buy a WD anyway. But the market for externals is so confusing. Can you give a friendly recommendation say of three good externals--I'm looking for 1-2 TB with Firewire and USB. Thanks.

dnanian 01-28-2010 04:55 PM

See the thread at the top of the section.