Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can't boot from backup v121.1 (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7274)

MichaelD 05-03-2021 12:31 PM

Can't boot from backup v121.1

I made a 1TB APFS partition on my 5TB GUID partitioned LaCie P9230 drive conntected to my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) running Big Sur 11.3.
I then did and erase then copy backup all files.
When I look in Sytem Preferences->Startup Disk I don't see my backup as a statup disk.
What did I do wrong?
Thanks

dnanian 05-03-2021 12:47 PM

Nothing. It's a bug in macOS. Try Option+Power On and see if it's there (it should be).

You'll see when you boot from the external that the internal is missing from the startup disk preference pane, too... unless your partition is an issue.

Intel Mac UEFI (and maybe Apple silicon, too; I don't know) can't start up from a partition that starts past the 2TB point or so. As such, you should not partition a large drive with separate partitions. Use one partition and then separate APFS volumes within that partition. That way the BIOS limitations won't come into play.

MichaelD 05-03-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 34876)
Intel Mac UEFI (and maybe Apple silicon, too; I don't know) can't start up from a partition that starts past the 2TB point or so. As such, you should not partition a large drive with separate partitions. Use one partition and then separate APFS volumes within that partition. That way the BIOS limitations won't come into play.

What happens when the BIOS limitations come into play?

How do you create seperate bootable APFS volumes withing the large partition?

Thanks

dnanian 05-03-2021 06:46 PM

It won’t boot and may not show up.

You add additional volumes in disk utility using “+” in the toolbar, after selecting a volume on the same drive, or the container.

MichaelD 05-04-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 34878)
It won’t boot and may not show up.

... after selecting a volume ...

Just to be sure that is the APFS containter?

The additional containers/volumes need to be added would be
MyBackup
-and-
MyBackup-Data

Would SD show the container in the destination popup and would that container be erased with the option erase destination then copy files from source?

dnanian 05-04-2021 04:34 PM

OK, no.

A container is kind of like a "bucket" that holds space that is allocated to volumes. If you look in Disk Utility and choose View > Show All Devices, you'll see the container listed below the drive hardware and above the volumes already there.

SuperDuper will automatically handle the "split" between Data and System volumes. You just create, for example, "My Backup", point us at it, and we'll do the rest.

If you want to store other files on the drive, you would create an additional volume (or volumes) by selecting a volume in the container (eg "My Backup"), pressing "+" in the Disk Utility toolbar, and entering a name.

That volume would share the space in the container, but would be separate - like a partition, but much more flexible, since it only takes up as much space as it has data.