Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Target volume not unmounting (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5812)

msbc 10-02-2009 10:55 PM

Target volume not unmounting

I'm not sure when this started happening but my target volumes are no longer unmounting at the end of a scheduled smart update. SD mounts the volume fine and the copy is ok, but does not unmount it. This did use to work.

Leopard 10.5.8 and SD! 2.6.1

dnanian 10-03-2009 08:35 AM

When did it work previously? With 2.6.1? Have you changed anything? The drives should unmount when SuperDuper! exits, but we don't "force" unmounting: we "request" an unmount. If Spotlight (or anything else) is busy on the drive, they will not unmount...

msbc 10-03-2009 07:58 PM

I don't think it has worked in the current version which I've had running on 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 - so It also seems unrelated to the OSX version.

Each night I schedule smart copy of 2 volumes - one a boot and the other a data volume. Neither target is mounted. The copies work but both volumes are left mounted.

This definitely worked at some point in the previous version of SD. I can't say exactly when it started not working as I had my external drive powered off for a few weeks.

I'm also not getting Growl email notifications anymore - have it set to MailMe for all SD! activities - is there any other config required?

dnanian 10-03-2009 11:01 PM

Have you deleted and recreated your schedules with v2.6.1?

msbc 10-05-2009 07:55 PM

Hi Dave,

I recreated the 2 schedules and let them run as scheduled at 2am. When I checked this morning the source Data volume had been unmounted, but the source System volume had not. The only diff in the 2 schedules is that the System copy has a post-run shell script that fixes the pre-bindings.

dnanian 10-05-2009 08:35 PM

Is spotlight enabled for one and not the other? (Check in the Spotlight preference pane's "Privacy" tab.)

msbc 10-05-2009 09:21 PM

Hi David,

I've checked the Spotlight settings and it is disabled for both target volumes.

dnanian 10-05-2009 09:23 PM

2.6.x automatically prebinds, so let's turn that off and see if it makes a difference.

msbc 10-06-2009 06:35 PM

David,

No, that didn't help. The System source remains mounted, the Data source was un-mounted.

dnanian 10-06-2009 06:39 PM

I really don't know why that would be. I've tried to reproduce here with equivalent drive names, but it works fine... any logging in the system log that might indicate what's preventing the unmount?

msbc 10-07-2009 01:38 AM

Dave,

Absolutely no messages in system log from SuperDuper or anything else at the time the scheduled jobs run. Are there any options to have SD log messages?

dnanian 10-07-2009 08:33 AM

No, no options to do this. Drop me a note to support; I want to get a bit more information about your setup.

Michael@wengam 10-07-2009 10:59 AM

I am also experiencing this since 2.6/2.61 (whenever it was that we had to do schedules reset). I have one single-partition working drive in my MacPro and three internal drives that are each SD! clones (Daily, Weekly and Monthly). Previously SD! would automatically mount and unmount the internal clone drives, but since 2.6.1, although it mounts and backs up OK, the program is unable to also unmount the drives.

Incidentally, I had forgotten to put the clones in Spotlight's 'no search' privacy preference, but still have this behavior after doing so.

dnanian 10-07-2009 11:10 AM

"The drives" meaning it does not unmount any of them, Michael, on quit?

Michael@wengam 10-07-2009 11:25 AM

Only my main drive is mounted when I turn on the machine and log in, thanks to a login script that unmounts each other volume, one at a time, by name.

I said drives (plural) because I have seen the unmount fail for each my three scheduled SD! backups (Daily, Weekly, Monthly) to their respective drives.

Normally, I only have the main drive mounted and when SD! runs it mounts the one drive it needs, then unmounts it.