View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I have so little to go on here, Guy, that I don't know how to respond. I don't know of any cases where a copy would indicate success and then copy "nothing", nor anything where files would be mysteriously "skipped", if you're using the standard "Backup - all files" script.

What folders were empty? What script were you using? Do you think that, perhaps, your drive was corrupt enough when you made the backup that the system wasn't returning the right files in the first place?
Unfortunately, because the drive from which the SD was run is no longer existent, I can't provide a copy of SD's preferences or settings. I've never even tried to do a script with SuperDuper. I have just smart copied. Until now, the program has always done the job. I really missed SD when we were awaiting Leopard compatibility.

I guess the lesson here is to ALWAYS inspect the clone drive and verify that files were actually stored even if SD seems to report all went well.

As for what folders were copied, at the root level I see only...

Users
Library
Applications <-- an empty folder
System

And if I open System I see only....

Library

Open that and I see only...

Caches

Open that and see...

com.apple.bootstamps <-- which is an empty folder

Looking inside the root Library folder, I see...

Preferences
Caches

Inside Preferences one sees...

FLEXnet Publisher <-- an empty folder

Inside Caches I see...

REALbasic <--- an empty folder

So, whatever caused SD to prune files (and folders) from the clone, did so very dramatically. What is most upsetting is that the copying process seemed to proceed normally. The time needed wasn't noticeably different from my normal smart updates.

Here I am cobbling back together over 100 GB of data from multiple sources instead of expectedly recovering from a recent SD generated clone.

Heck, I'm using SD to bring back an older clone as part of my recovery, but this has been a real shocker.

Last edited by Guy Kuo; 06-08-2008 at 09:42 AM.