View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 02:43 AM

RAID 1, booting and SuperDuper

I've searched the forums for others with RAID problems and haven't come across this one.

I have a new 4 disk MacPro. Drives 1 and 2 are arranged as RAID 1 (mirrored) from which the machine boots. Disk 3 is some scratch space and 4 is my test backup (and will be replaced by an external firewire for offsite storage).

I wanted to check my backups will work properly. I installed the OS on the RAID, backed it up to disk4 (using SD) and can boot from either the RAID or disk 4. Great, all looks good. I then wiped the RAID (actually re-created it from the start) and used SD to copy everything from disk4 back onto the new RAID. The machine now fails to boot from the RAID, I get the spinning wheel on a grey screen with a NO GO sign on it. Nothing works.

NOTE - when in this state I couldn't get any of the 'normal' command boot key sequences to work, nor could I open the CD to load from that. The only way I could get out of the mess I'd created was to connect the machine to another Mac in target mode (use firewire and hold down t during boot on the afflicted machine). I could then open the CD, run disk util, change the boot drive and get back to square one ....

Is this a known problem? I've actually reproduced it with a fresh install from CD. I'd assumed SD should accept RAID or single disks interchangeably, but it looks like I'm wrong.

Many thanks
David

Last edited by fatshark; 05-12-2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Helpful update - see NOTE on escaping from this mess