View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Validated Hardware Option

I browsed around the website and didn't find an official Validated Hardware list. At any rate, I wanted to share my experiences this evening.

I purchased an Adaptec USB/Firewire Hard Drive Enclosure, Model #ACS-200 from Best Buy tonight for $71.99. I installed a 120GB Seagate HD that had been created using SuperDuper! in a non-bootable HD enclosure. After switching my startup disk to the new Adaptec enclosure, my 20" iMac booted from it without a hitch.

I initially purchased the Maxtor One-Touch 200GB external, only to get it home and discover that contrary to the information on the box it was the USB only unit. So I returned to Best Buy (luckily its just a couple of miles from home). My luck was running its normal course and the only Maxtor they had in stock with FW was the 300GB, which was double the $149 I paid for the 200GB unit. I was contemplating the purchase when I noticed the adaptec enclosure. So to cover my bases, I purchased both, but will be returning the 300GB One-Touchin the morning.

I was in crunch mode because its looking like I'm going to have to return my 20" iMac due to a problem with its AirPort card. I found this out after I'd spent 12 hours setting it up, installing software, migrating files, etc. Thank goodness for SuperDuper. I have cloned my HD, verified that I can boot to the image, so if they swap me out tomorrow, I can just come home, hook up my drive, boot the machine, select my external and reboot then copy my HD image back over to the new machine.