View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM

filling up

So my question is what happens when a drive with both side-by-side fills up. I have a 150 gb external drive and my macbook has a 120 gb hard drive. Now that SD boots in Leopard I'm returning to that as my primary backup, but since there's extra space I might as well have TM back up a few things (I exclude system files, apps, music and a few other things so that it won't take as much space). I'm currently doing them side-by-side. Right now there's plenty of room because my Macbook's HD isn't full so the clone doesn't take as much space and because of the previously mentioned TM exclusions. But eventually both the clone and the TM files will probably fill up the drive. What will happen then? Would I be better off partitioning the drive to reserve enough space for the clone to be able to clone a full macbook HD? I suppose another approach is that by the time this happens I should be able to afford a second external to transfer the TM files to, but it might be nice to not have to shell out the money. I just wiped the drive to switch from TM back to SD, so it's no problem if I have to wipe it again to partition it.