View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 AM

Exclamation Cannot select sparseimage in disk utility

Hope you can help with my problem.

I am trying to restore my Macbook Pro system from the complete backup sparseimage on my usb drive. I initially followed the instructions from the user manual and booted from the install cd -> disk utility etc.. Discovered that you could not drag the source / destination locaton due to the bug with disk utility on the cd.

I obtained a install cd from the latest MacBook Pro Core2 Duo, and after receiving a warning that I could not install the software on my machine selected disk utility anyway. I can confirm that the new version DOES allow you to drag the source and destination in the restore pane. However when I select "Image" for the source the backup the sparseimage file is greyed out. There is no way to select it at all.

How do I restore from this file? Is it corrupt? It was also greyed out in the buggy version of the disk utility. Can I create a normal DMG on my desktop drag the contents of the sparseimage to it and place it on the external drive and restore from that file.

I considered Archive and install but the system cd's are 10.4.5 and Im currently using 10.4.10

Any help appreciated, Ian