View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 03:33 PM

new MBP and making a clone... a few questions....

Hi-I have a new 2.53mhz MBP with a 500GB hard drive. I am planning to use an external fire wire drive to do a clone on. Right now it has my old Time Machine backup on it (which I plan to erase beforehand). It has about 750GB capacity. I am wondering if I can do a clone on that drive-if there is enough room on it for such a large hard drive. That is question number 1. Question number 2: in reading the Users Guide, if I read it correctly, once the clone is made I should boot up from that and not the internal drive within my computer. Is that correct? Is that to ensure that it is kept up to date? But what do I do when I take my MBP somewhere and don't take the drive..... what about that scenario? That would mean that my internal hard drive isn't up to date. I guess I missed that part when I created a clone with my old MBP-I just did updates to the clone now and then. Question 3: If I don't boot up with the clone and boot up with my internal drive, will doing a Smart Update keep my clone up to date? Sorry about all the questions but I do want to do this right! Judy