View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 PM

Recall that your command did not work for the source either; it at least went through the motions but kept complaining about the plists of my apps whose names begin with C -- one after the other, in inverse alphabetical order. See my message of 7-29-05, "No luck. Earlier today I..." Also see our subsequent exchanges, wherein I responded to your suggestionss of what might be wrong.

As I told you then, the same command does NOTHING on the clone. Here is the latest try:

Last login: Wed Aug 3 09:05:14 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[Eds-G4:~] edwardan% /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
[Eds-G4:~] edwardan%

Perhaps this is a red herring, but edwardan was the original username assigned by OS 10.1. For consistency with my other machines I changed it to edwardanders a few months ago and had no troubles. But I wonder if the truncated name exists somewhere in the bowels of the machine and causes mischief in this particular operation.

The generic icons are most troublesome for Office apps. I reinstalled Office 2004 on MacHD but that did not solve the problem. Nor did my attempt to restore icons, a few at a time, with File Buddy.