View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Number added to backup drive

This is a follow-up to the recent thread titled SD sees different Vol name on Ext Drive partitions . That thread gave a helpful rundown on why numbers would be added to SD target drives, and how to view the results in the /Volumes drive.

I've got this same problem with the external drive partitions I'm using for SD backups (you can see a screenshot of my /Volumes folder here), but I was confused by the solution to the problem offered in the aforementioned thread. The solution to cleaning up the mess seemed to involve deleting all the numbered drive folders in the /Volumes folder, but not the numbered alias folders. Is that correct? What exactly should I do to clean up the /Volumes folder so I can once again use SD to make a backup to an unnumbered drive?

(The origin of my problem, for what it's worth, was this: I was having trouble completing SD backups because the external USB drive kept being randomly ejected. I was using a USB hub at the time which seems to have made the drive mounting unstable. Once I reverted to plugging the ext. drive directly into one of my MacBook's USB sockets, the external drive was no longer being ejected.)