View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM

I would hate to see people make purchases based on the results of a poll like this one. I mean no offence, but hard drive biases tend to be similar to network hardware biases: I like <this> because my experience with it has been great, hate <that> because my experience with it has been awful. Know what I mean? People are pretty opinionated about Belkin vs NetGear vs D-Link vs LinkSys, just as they are about Seagate vs WD vs Hitachi vs Lacie vs Maxtor.

A lot of people might go with a WD My Book Pro because it's priced pretty well, looks nice, offers multiple interfaces, and they have experience with internal WD drives. Others will swear by LaCie and wouldn't touch a WD with a barge pole. Still others would go to OWC and buy their "house" brand (standard drive + their enclosure) because they trust them so much.

My own experience in this area leads me to believe that the top brands with a decent warranty aren't too different from one another; all things considered, I'd get the one on sale, provided it had the space, interface(s), and aesthetics I wanted. My own bias is such that I'd stay away from most of the generic brands that you might find at an electronics retailer. Other than that, I don't think it matters too much.

Of course, ymmv. =)