View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 PM

Hmm, are you saying that I should first format the target disk as e.g. Mac OS X Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) and then smart update to that? Can you then boot from that drive? I guess the implication here is that the original SD cloning process would indeed have then yielded an unencrypted back up :-(.

In the original FV you needed to go outside the encrypted world and do the back up from within a regular unencrypted user account. Now in FV-2 there's no such thing as stepping outside the unencrypted world because the whole disk is encrypted. No wait, I guess you could step outside that world do the back up using an unencrypted Mac and attach both the source (in my case a FV-2 encrypted Mac in target disk mode) and a regular formatted back up drive and just use the unencrypted Mac as a middle man while SD does the back up. You could also create a back up partition on the source machine that wasn't encrypted and do a similar thing I guess.

Either way, I'm too tired to think straight now and I'm not going to encrypt my Mac until I see a clear path to solve this. I just wish FV-2 worked on a per-user basis like FV-1 did. It certainly seems like trying to stay safe by using FV in Lion and being able to make a 'safe' back up is a challenge here!

Interesting - I just clicked on Submit Reply only to find out my log-in into the forum site had expired. Thank goodness I could still go back one page in the browser history and find all my text in tact to copy and paste in after a new log-in!