View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Looks good

Dave, Thanks - this looks like a good solution, as I can now use SD2's scheduler, set to nightly

Does the scheduler use launchd? If so where are you storing the launchagent? Otherwise I didn't see a background helper process that SD runs, which I'm very glad to see as there is no reason to do things that way anymore.

Is this a system UUID thats being used, or just one that SD generates? I can't imagine any gotchas doing this, other than maybe the startupdisk setting if two disks with the same UUID were mounted (not gonna happen in this scenario).

The only thing this new approach doesn't have that my scripted one had, is that if there was any error, the system sent me a warning email.

Where does SD store its log? Maybe I'll just read the last entry of that and if it was not "OK" send the warning.

I'm still prechecking that the backupvolume is mounted with the old applescript (just with the SD bit commented out). I should do this with the SD preflight builtin option - does SD make any decisions about whether to perform the backup based on what the script returns?

Wow - that is more questions than I originally thought I had. Thanks for the great support and thanks for making the product easy to use for anyone, but flexible for us out there managing os x server systems. We are using it to backup for our school server with hundreds of user folders - a godsend.

-Preston