View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Understood. The Console messages don't really help, actually -- we're aware of the problem.

So, to work around the issue, create the sparse image, of the appropriate size, using Disk Utility. You'll only have to do this once.

1. Open Disk Utility (found in /Applications/Utilities).
2. Without selecting any volume/drive on the left side, click the New Image toolbar button.
3. Give the image an appropriate name (like Backup), and store it on a drive other than the one you're trying to back up.
4. In the Size pop-up, choose Custom.
5. In the sheet that appears, enter the size of the drive you're trying to back up. Note that the pop-up does not have a selection for GB: you need to enter "40000" MB for 40GB. Click OK when you've got the right size entered.
6. Decide whether or not you want the image encrypted, and choose the proper value in the Encryption pop-up.
7. In the Format pop-up, choose sparse disk image.
8. Click Create.

Once it's created, go back to SuperDuper! and choose the "Disk Image..." selection in the destination pop-up. Navigate to the location where you created the image and click it (it's grey, but that's OK -- click it anyway), then click "Save".
Hello,

Thanks for the help. I sought out the above information from the FAQ earlier and began the process. One question: is it bad to point SuperDuper! to the mounted image, rather than the image file itself?

Another question: have you heard of some files not being able to copy due to corrupt file/creator types? (The same files also can not be properly accessed by other Finder operations, such as "Create archive..." or Duplicate.) Obviously not your problem, but SuperDuper!'s thorough scanning of all the files on my hard drive are turning up strange things in the dark recesses. (If you have no answer, don't worry about it; I can delete the files. )

Thanks,
trilobyte