View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Great News! That’s a relief.

Thank you, Dave. You’re a prince of a fellow — always have been. Though you knew full well that I was an unregistered user, you’ve always responded through Support e-mailings, to my frantic postings. What a guy!

Didn’t even know what a sparse image was till coming to this group to find out how to archive my working Panther startup volume before upgrading to Tiger. That’s right, not Leopard, but Tiger! Most here probably don’t even realize that while a tiger can fit inside this sawtooth, there’s not room enough for a leopard — makes no sense. Where’s Woz?

Back to the topic — searching and reading posts in MacNN and MacRumors, and elsewhere, leave one with the distinct impression that SparseImages are relatively unreliable, problematic. What one needs in such a critical backup as that of a reliably working System, is infallibility, not mere convenience.

(Sheesh! while jotting this, Firefox has “unexpected quit”, but not good ol’ ever-reliable Tex-Edit. See what I mean? Now had I “unexpectedly” had problems, in an emergency, with a SparseImage — whooaa — all H would have broken loose!) Unfortunately, this has happened to me with a Mac-flakey port of a Windows/Java based application, while transacting business in a financial site.
That ended up costing me more than enough to buy a new Mac Pro. My days of beta-testing new Mac OSes is likewise history. Likewise, trusting stuffit stuff — remember ShrinkWrap. Then, how’bout Norton Utilities 3.0. How many here lost it with that one!?

I came to SuperDuper! for your proven reliability, and got the bonus of Great support.

later… soon as I reboot Firefox.

ignoramus

proofreaders welcome