View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM

Question How do I trigger one SD unattended backup from another?

I just got an external 1tb drive that I want to use to back up two separate internal drives. The problem is I want to do this unattended but I can't seem to figure out a way to run two jobs sequentially.

My desired workflow would be to have an automator action that triggers the first backup. I'd turn off my monitors and head home for the night while SD! does it's magic. When the first backup is complete, it would trigger the second backup. When the second is done, it would put the computer to sleep.

Now, I had a similar setup running just fine with a single SD! backup. My automator script used applescript to launch the SD! job and it would put the computer to sleep when it is done. However, now that I've introduced the second job into the mix, I need a way to trigger the second job once the first is done. Scheduling isn't a viable option since I don't know when the first job will be done. And Automator doesn't wait for the first job to complete before moving on with it's workflow once an unattended job starts running.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this? Details rather than generalities would be most appreciated, but, in truth, I'll take what I can get at this point.

Many thanks,
Steve